Semi-dry wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I recently moved from NC to LI NY & need a new exposure suit...the old 3/2 just won't cut it here! I've been looking at semi-dry wetsuits (7mm) as I really can't afford a drysuit. I've also seen wetsuits with neck, wrist & ankle "seals" that aren't advertised as semi-dry. I'm curious what exactly makes a wetsuit semi-dry (if it isn't the seals to restrict water) & are they (semi-dry) really much warmer than a "regular" wetsuit? What would "you" recommend for diving in the N Atlantic?
Thanks!!
BTW-for the past 15-20 years 99% of my diving was NC coast wreck diving with winters spent in Fl. (Ginny Springs etc.) Depth was rarely (a few deeper...~200') in excess of 150 ft. I'll probably stay above ~100 ft. until I get a better idea of the local conditions & feel comfortable with the temp., current etc. I will eventually buy a drysuit if I stay here (I'm helping to care for my 91 yo mother in-law (hence the move) and could be here another ~3 months to ???) but would like a suit that'll work for local dives.

I'd look for a used drysuit personally. Problem with a semidry is it will only be good for those conditions and will still have the wicked evaporative cooling at the surface. Drysuit will still allow you to use it in NC and cave country. Combine that with the loss of thermal protection at depth and lost ballast and you're having issues. You can get a used drysuit fairly cheap, and even new ones can be had for just over a grand if you look around for the right deals.

If you watch for specials, you can pick up a drysuit for very little more than a semidry. I was very happy with my Bare Nexgen. Shop around, though you won't get any bargains on a DUI or some such.

My LDS sells used drysuits (there's even on on CL for $100, but it's too small) for under $1k, & I'd love to buy one. I'd (probably) need instruction before use as I'd be dealing with another buoyancy "device/gear" but $1k is out of the question for now.
Thanks!

I recently moved from NC to LI NY & need a new exposure suit...the old 3/2 just won't cut it here! I've been looking at semi-dry wetsuits (7mm) as I really can't afford a drysuit. I've also seen wetsuits with neck, wrist & ankle "seals" that aren't advertised as semi-dry. I'm curious what exactly makes a wetsuit semi-dry (if it isn't the seals to restrict water) & are they (semi-dry) really much warmer than a "regular" wetsuit? What would "you" recommend for diving in the N Atlantic?
Thanks!!
BTW-for the past 15-20 years 99% of my diving was NC coast wreck diving with winters spent in Fl. (Ginny Springs etc.) Depth was rarely (a few deeper...~200') in excess of 150 ft. I'll probably stay above ~100 ft. until I get a better idea of the local conditions & feel comfortable with the temp., current etc. I will eventually buy a drysuit if I stay here (I'm helping to care for my 91 yo mother in-law (hence the move) and could be here another ~3 months to ???) but would like a suit that'll work for local dives.

Like said above, we do have some pretty amazing deals on solid suits right now. Of course if even a sale drysuit isn't in your current budget you can still get a pretty amazing semi dry suit for a good price. Also like said above the benefit of a drysuit extends above the surface as once your skin gets wet you cool a great deal faster. Like I regularly say on here, cold is a factor of time. That's not to say that you can't have enjoyable dives in the North Atlantic in a semi dry suit, although I would recommend a good boat coat or other form of insulation for the surface interval.

Semi dry suits are exactly that...semi dry. Most have some type of seal(or dam) at the appendage openings to restrict water flow but water will still get inside the suit and leave your skin wet. Of course a good quality one will serve you well in cooler waters. One thing you really want to be watchful for in a semi dry suit is proper fit, if it's too loose it becomes nothing more than a thick wetsuit. Too tight and the seals can become really constricting. Of course we can assist with proper fit if you like.

We have a few really high quality semi drysuits that can be found here.

oh, my biggest issue against semi-dry suits that I don't think have been mentioned yet. Sure they're warm in the water, but you will freeze your balls off as soon as you get out of the water from evaporative cooling since they are no better than any other wetsuit in that regard. That is the only reason I dive dry as often as I do and my decision to dive dry is much more dependent on the surface conditions than the water conditions. I can do 3 hour cave dives in a 5mm with no problems, but the minute that wind picks up and is below about 60*, I go straight into the drysuit so the surface time is much less miserable.

oh, my biggest issue against semi-dry suits that I don't think have been mentioned yet. Sure they're warm in the water, but you will freeze your balls off as soon as you get out of the water from evaporative cooling since they are no better than any other wetsuit in that regard. That is the only reason I dive dry as often as I do and my decision to dive dry is much more dependent on the surface conditions than the water conditions. I can do 3 hour cave dives in a 5mm with no problems, but the minute that wind picks up and is below about 60*, I go straight into the drysuit so the surface time is much less miserable.

I agree 100%. Topside temps comprise a large chunk of the reason I dive dry. Even in the Florida Caves....72 degree water, kicking against flow...I'm quite toasty in a 5 mil. Once I get topside in the cool January Northern Florida air the game changes. This is where a drysuit truly shines.

Of course, drysuits end up being cost prohibitive for many avid divers out there. Which is why boat coats are such a good seller. Hopefully someday the overall price point for drysuits will drop and make them more available to divers on a budget.

Aaron, that's what USIA is for.... Brand new suit for just over a grand, not that much more than a semi dry, and not much more expensive than a semidry+lighter wetsuit.

Aaron, that's what USIA is for.... Brand new suit for just over a grand, not that much more than a semi dry, and not much more expensive than a semidry+lighter wetsuit.

Well, there's that...:D

Back
Top Bottom