Semi-Dry Suit Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey, gang, I'm thinking about picking up an exposure suit that will provide protection between what my current wetsuit (short/farmer john 3mm each) and a dry suit would give me. I'm considering a semi-dry suit...hooded, probably 5mm or 7mm. Any suggestions? Any particular features I need to be on the look out for? Thanks!!!

Can I ask a question on your thread, K-valve? Do you get suit squeeze with a semidry suit?

Hi there-

My wife has the new Mares semi-dry (just came out this year) and she loves it! She stays really warm even in the cold waters of MN. She also stays mostly dry (a little water on the forearms and shins). It has some great seals and also a built in vest.
I dive dry almost all of the time, however am considering getting one for myself for those hot summer days when a dry suit is too hot.

To answer the other question....
No suit squeeze in this suit. Since air can enter and escape the suit (this is what causes suit squeeze in a dry suit), there are no problems with suit squeeze.

I have an Xcel Polar Tridensity (now replaced by the quad density) and it is very warm and very dry. It is considered a semi-dry, but I have had dry suit dives where I got wetter (of course, I used to have a leaky dry suit).

fisherdvm:
Can I ask a question on your thread, K-valve? Do you get suit squeeze with a semidry suit?

Like ththooft mentioned in his post, I've been told that suit squeeze is not a problem with semi-dry suits, but since I've never actually owned one myself I don't know for sure.

I have a Mares Isotherm suit that has worked quite well, but I needed to have it modified as it was way too long as is, this meant having the leg and wrist seals modified.

If I was picking up another (I have been do my cold water diving dry with a
Diving Concepts suit) Semi-dry, I would seriously look at a Pinnacle suit. They offer a range of well engineered products, most with integrated hoods. I picked up a 5mm suit for my wife and it extremely well made.

k-valve:
Hey, gang, I'm thinking about picking up an exposure suit that will provide protection between what my current wetsuit (short/farmer john 3mm each) and a dry suit would give me. I'm considering a semi-dry suit...hooded, probably 5mm or 7mm. Any suggestions? Any particular features I need to be on the look out for? Thanks!!!

I have a 7mm semi-dry from CAMARO. I have found it to be an excellent cold water suit. It has front zip; zippers on arms and legs; and a seperate hooded vest if you are diving really cold. check out their site. httv://www.camaro.at for yourself.

i have a PINNACLE polar semi-dry. It's a great suit and very flexible. Used it last night in 54 degree water and was comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom