Semi-dry suit + hooded vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grahams315

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys. I am doing my OW cert this summer and Ive been researching gear, mainly for diving locally in central and upstate NY. Ive heard alot of people recomend a semi-dry suit and a hooded vest as a warm combo. But would one wear the vest inside or outside the semi-dry suit? I wasn't sure if it would allow a rush of water in/out the neck seal having it on the inside. Thanks guys

My semi-dry Xcel SCS 9/7/6mm is a one piece with integrated hood. A hooded vest would not work. A shortie would though and it would be worn on the outside since the semi-dry has seals on all openings to minimize water exchange.

Some wear Farmer Johns with the hooded vest on the inside between the bottom and the top. It may require getting a larger size top though.

ahhh alright, that makes much more sense. Mind sharing about how cold the water you typically dive in with your suit?

Northern California Pacific Ocean 46-52+F. Warmer in winter. Average under 50F.

Thats not bad at all. I might have to look into one of those first. From what i can tell the temps arnt normally lower than that here. Thanks for your help sir

I have a scubapro semi-dri and it has seals for the hood that comes with it. I was in the water for about 1/2 an hour before any water at all got inside. I love this suit, but the coldest water i would consider diving in is about 50° after that I would get a dry suit, or not dive. I do not like to be cold, takes me a bit to get cold but I do not like it one bit.:D

50 degrees will still let me dive a fair amount locally. Id like to get a dry suit eventually, but im a poor college student so a semi dry is pushing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom