Semi-dry ... purpose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahh, so if you just pee freely in your semi-dry, how does that work..., with the semi-dry no flushing aspect?

Exactly as you would expect. Since there's very little water flow in and out of the suit you can expect the concentration of piss inside the semidry suit to be rather high at the end of a typical dive, so take it off and rinse accordingly. When I dive, I drink a lot of water even if I don't have the urge, and that waters it down rather well.

If a dry suit is to keep you dry for really cold temps and a wetsuit keeps you wet but warm in cold to warm temps, then what is the purpose of a semi-dry suit that gets you somewhat wet?

RFL...
You've had a number of good responses and the merits have been discussed...

*Don't buy a semi-dry suit online unless you've tried an identical model and size on in a dive shop first...size is extremely important to prevent ''flushing''...and flooding...these suits will ''hold'' a lot of water if they are too big...water tends to get trapped in the legs if the suit is too big...and it will not flush due to the sealing efficiency of the ankle seals...

*Buy a suit that has a ''dry zipper''...the difference in efficiency is well worth the cost differential...

*Do not buy a ''hooded'' suit...buy a separate ''dry suit'' hood...most water will enter a semi-dry suit via the face opening perimeter of the hood or through a non-dry type of zipper...the inner dam which some semi-dry suits have does little to nothing to prevent water entry...

*Buy a suit that has ''turn under'' smooth skin dry neck...wrist and ankle seals...

Savings are considerable over the cost of a dry suit system...but like a dry suit the mistakes made when purchasing are numerous...

Most importantly a semi-dry suit has it limitations and does not replace a dry suit...

Ask all the questions...buy carefully...make sure the pile of dive gear that you can't or don't use does not grow larger than the pile of dive gear you do use...

Dive Safe...
Warren

Ahh, so if you just pee freely in your semi-dry, how does that work..., with the semi-dry no flushing aspect?
(I do not go in my suit either as it is rather non flushing, but I think having it both ways is hard without a valve to help.)

I dive a skin in farmer john hooded beavertail industrial rubber suit, same style as free-diver but heavier with a lower chest zipper. It is not fragile. Donning takes lube and prep, but is easier than wet neoprene. I have not dove a semi-dry, and the differences have always been interesting, as my fitted skin in seems a lot like a seal that goes all the way up my arms and legs.

You can flush a semi-dry on the platform or on the boat by pouring water through it, if need be. Just pour down the neck and then hold your ankle seals open.

Your rubber suit is rare and old school, not readily available for most people, and is a whole world of difference from a freedive wetsuit. It would be very warm indeed, I imagine. Nice to know there are still some out there.

Really like my 7mm SEAC semi-dry. Very little water gets in, thus extending my dive season here in New England, the reason why I bought it. The hood that came with it is separate but works great. No complaints.

*Do not buy a ''hooded'' suit...buy a separate ''dry suit'' hood...most water will enter a semi-dry suit via the face opening perimeter of the hood or through a non-dry type of zipper...the inner dam which some semi-dry suits have does little to nothing to prevent water entry..

I read this part right here and my first response was to shake my head and think "No, @W W Meixner's got it backwards, the one piece design including built in hood has less places for water to enter because there's no break between the hood and the suit". Then I read about the inner dam, and thought about that cheap fabric piece that I slip over my head from the front before I slip the hood over from the back and how I feel water rush in the sides of the hood and down my chest and the lightbulb came on. I just might get myself a new semi-dry suit without a hood and get a separate hood.

I dive a 6mm/5mm O'Three "semi dry" but I bought it as a wetsuit. Wanted something warmer than my 5mm but not as stiff and thick as a 7mm for teaching where I can't be in a drysuit. I also really like it for cave diving. I don't like the 7mm or thicker semi-dry suits for the reasons listed above
Interesting that you’re buying from a UK company and you’re in US. They sell for 300£, how do you find the suits?

Interesting that you’re buying from a UK company and you’re in US. They sell for 300£, how do you find the suits?

I email O3 and ask for what I want? They sent it to me, it's pretty and I love it, then when I need another one I repeat the process? Though I usually cheat a bit on shipping and get it sent to my office in England, but still. They aren't in the US, it's almost all factory direct so I just go to the factory

I email O3 and ask for what I want? They sent it to me, it's pretty and I love it, then when I need another one I repeat the process? Though I usually cheat a bit on shipping and get it sent to my office in England, but still. They aren't in the US, it's almost all factory direct so I just go to the factory
Not sure about interpretation on my last post but I was asking how are you finding them?
Are they good, bad, ugly? Quality? Etc etc?

I'm happy with the Hollis 8/7/6mm semidry I got for shallow sump dives and/or working in really wet caves. There is less water exchange than my old wetsuit, but its definitely not "dry". At least in the USA, most semidrys are sold with an attached hood - to in theory reduced water flow down the back. Finding a semidry that fits without an attached hood might be a challenge.

Not sure about interpretation on my last post but I was asking how are you finding them?
Are they good, bad, ugly? Quality? Etc etc?

oh, sorry. Translation issue.
Suits are great, quality is phenomenal, customer service is good. Can't beat them, especially if you're over there.

@cerich just came out with a badass suit that probably would have kept me on this side of the pond though. Haven't dove one yet, just done a lot of touchy/feely with it, but for $500 on the 7mm I suspect that's going to be the suit to beat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom