Semi-dry, get too hot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thymer

Registered
Reaction score
Silly question ya'll but I was considering a semi-dry Mares suit for diving in 45-65 degree water. I usually wear a 7mil w/ .5 mil skin and if I get too hot I can just let some water in. Can you still do this with a semi-dry suit? Seems like it would suck to get down there and start getting overheated.

thanks!

I'm sure it is possible, but I have yet to be too overheated in a 7mil semi-dry. I have dove it in the ranges of 40-70F. The only time I get overheated is on the surface when kitting up. I just make sure I have water handy to dump in the suit to combat this.

Matt

Like Corigan said. I have a 4x3 semi dry and it is warmer out of the water because the skin cuts the air flow that gets thru regular neoprene. Good on a cold, windy, rainy day on a long boatride. But on a hot one, don't put it on until just before you get "inna da wata".

Bout the same here dive a 7mil JMJ semidry, sweet in the winter topside. But in the summer wait till the last possible second to put it on. Never overheated in the water though.

Got a Mares Semi and all is good. If all else fails I stand in the water and don the rest of my rig. Yes you can pull a seal and let in cooler water. I don't think I would use it for 70 degree water but to each his own.

thymer:
Silly question ya'll but I was considering a semi-dry Mares suit for diving in 45-65 degree water. I usually wear a 7mil w/ .5 mil skin and if I get too hot I can just let some water in. Can you still do this with a semi-dry suit? Seems like it would suck to get down there and start getting overheated.

thanks!

To answer your question, Yes you can let water in. All you have to do is pull on your neck seal to get water in the suit. The semi-dry is the way to go in cold water. There is very little water movement through your suit. Good Luck!!!

Puget

i dive my bare semi-dry in 50 degree and it's nice and toasty.(been down to 38 degree) 60 is starting to get warm. 67 degrees on the bottom one dive last year was oppressively hot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom