Selky charters / kyaa blow off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no tomfcrit, I'm not. Is ScubaBoard now a daytime television drama courtroom? I want to challenge everyone from now on, to write such a detailed description on good dives, dive trips, stops at starbucks etc. Problems happen, sometimes take a deep breath, and say wtf! I'm just not so perfect to look around the world and report on who made a mistake, failing me coming all the way from the other side of the country or the planter, bus bench, etc nearby. Basically 2 choices of mine are to be happy or mad about something.

So back to original poster here: Good job, point taken, outstanding report. Now what? Book another?

Really, think of the world if the reports were filled with great things, there'd be no room to see the one mis experience, yet when I'm given my way, when my world serves me perfectly...I'm quiet. My bad, continue on in the pick a part of services.

NetDoc is teetering on the edge of a full time network reality TV show here, scripts are already in. No screening necessary.

WetDays of Our Life. Airing 24 hours a day.

Alcohol, drugs and mental illness are absolute contraindications to diving. Nothing that you just said makes any comprehendible sense given your first post. It certainly didn't address anything I asked you in relation to your post.

Honest question here....Are you OK man?

I used to go on the Sundiver 2 every other weekend until Kyaa stared captaining....Not my type of person....

A couple of years ago, my dive partner and I got stood-up by a boat op in the San Diego area. When we contacted the operator (from the dock) and asked what was going on, the operator responded with a reasonable explanation about cancellation of the trip due to mechanical issues with the boat. The operator had made an effort to contact us via e-mail the night before the trip about the cancellation, but the effort did not include a phone call. At the time, we did not have e-mail access while driving to Cali from Arizona. It would have been nice to get a call. And yes, the operator knew were driving in from out of state. The situation was a real downer for us.

I have no doubt that many Southern Cali dive boat operators understand the importance of making telephone calls to clients who are coming in from out of state. Last spring, I had scheduled three days of diving on the Specter out of Ventura. The operator cancelled the first day due to not having booked enough clients. I got a call from the operator advising me of the cancellation and an explaining why. The operator also made an effort to find me another boat that was going out on the day Specter was not. I appreciated their effort to keep me informed. An operator like this will keep my business.

This past summer, I was diving in Sonora, Mexico, with the El Mar Dive Center. My grand daughters from Southern Cali had joined me for the trip. While we were out on the El Mar boat, the shop manager discovered that their computerized booking system had double booked the boat for the following day. A large group from Phoenix had booked over us. It would have been easy for the shop to have taken the large group instead of my small one. Instead, the operator got busy and found another boat they could use to take us diving. I don't mind doing business with these guys.

I realize that boat operators, like everyone else, can have bad days and things can 'fall through the cracks'. This said, it is a real bummer for divers who engage in substantial travel to dive. Personally, I found it hard not to 'flame' the operator who left us standing on the dock in San Diego. I choose not to because I sympathize with the difficulties the operator encountered. There may come a day when I decide to book with this particular operator again. Until then, I will simply use other operators in the area.

Of course, you will note that I did not have any problem with naming the operators I have had positive experiences with. It is worth noting that since joining Scuba Board, I have read lots more positive reviews of dive operations here than negative ones. Others are entitled disagree with me if they choose to. The op of this thread essentially alerted other divers about the issues his group encountered. I do not think that is a bad thing. Other divers who are considering using this particular operator may want to seek ways to ensure that the boat is really a confirmed booking.

-AZTinman

I had an experience, years ago, being part of a big group event in Seattle, which involved people coming in from up and down the Pacific coast. For Friday, I had booked a local six-pack, because the tides were so awful that the shore diving options were few. We drove an hour plus at an ungodly early hour of the morning, to discover an empty dock. We waited over an hour. I made MULTIPLE phone calls to the operator's phone, which were not answered or returned. Finally, we gave up and went to a local mudhole where we could dive, despite the tides. I was absolutely furious.

I found out much later that the owner's daughter had been hospitalized with meningitis that morning. That's a good excuse for canceling; to this day I believe that a good businessman would have called to tell us we had been canceled. Of course, it no longer matters, because the operation in question is out of business.

Lol! tomfchrist! I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change my friend! Obviously it's far to complex to explain it all to you, and I'll share why, do you see ok, and you can read, modern English, right? If you have comprehended that series of basic questions, and have answered yes to those, all, then it should be fairly simple to go a little slower and maybe examine the first 4 words in my second post that I spelled out correctly, except I didn't use Capitalization on "no, and I misspelled your name" (which I should have corrected, because somehow that is viewed as potential problems on this SB forum.) By the way, that was address to you, and it answered your question. Pardon me that I don't use "reply with quote" or Spell and Grammar check this superfluous content. I type at around 45 wpm and I rarely look back. Here's the deal, for you, No tomfchrist, I'm not. Was the answer to your only question to me of "Are you really trying to defend the fact that she completely stood up a group that came from across the country?" Crushing your statement "It certainly didn't address anything I asked you in relation to your post." Go ahead and look it back over. You might want to ask yourself if you're ok? I'll play along with the drugs, alcohol and mental illness comment. It seems recent attempts to make insinuations that drinking a beer an hour after a 30 minute dive in 30fsw, with no uncontrolled ascent, no blasting past lol, safety stops, was using poor judgement, talking about the choice to consume one. I might be the slow one, if you're indirectly stating you have a drug, alcohol and mental illness, I wouldn't make fun of you or anyone. Seek treatment. I gotta go, Jerry Springer is on. Don't take it personal, I do know individuals that are constantly pissed at everything. Their happiness is always waiting for "if something changes." And me myself and I pretty much relies on self evaluation, perspective, those of others (to a degree, still important,) and then here comes the Doctor in me that specializes in something very difficult-it's called Change. All one has to do is change the thought, bam!! If one is pissed about something, the change of just be happy for it. Speak it out loud to oneself. And the brain picks that up and "follow the leader!" Instantly changes chemistry in the brain, muscles in the facial expression of a smile, creates more endorphin output, by the hypothalamus, I think it's called dopa-mine, or dopa-yours? That's all I was trying to say, if you didn't get it, you can forget about it. Fret about it, if it makes better sense to you. I would ask you if you were one of the three, but I'm hoping you have a good day, and if you do run into people that are different than you, it's ok.

I think I'm going to have to avoid the SoCal forums from now on. To the original poster. I truly appreciate the effort you gave to let us all know of the problem you had.

Last edited:
I too think this is getting "icky". Business is business, I've fd'up a few jobs over the years, and read about it the next day ONLINE, OUCH! That's the way it is today, it's not "social media" magic, it's just how business is done today. Cover your ass and do your best! I don't excuse non Coms. from the Capt., that will hurt EVERY business relationship.

I also feel if you think an S/B member(diver) has REAL personal issues and you REALLY want to help??, then message them direct... or itz jus' another stupid kid size "flame'a'thon"... HTH...

Be Safe Out There!

To the Capt., suck it up, gut it out, it happened, try to make it better.... that's the CRUX

Last edited:
I like Cpt Kyaa but there's no excuse for blowing off people who had made arrangement to go diving with her. Especially without a warning call.

I know Kyaa. I know the staff at Selky and Sundiver very well, and I have been diving with them for years. Kyaa, Ray, and Jules try very hard to make their divers safe and happy. Very often really going the extra mile to do so. Things do happen and there is really no excuse. One "oops" can wipe out a whole bunch of "ataboys". It is truly a shame this happened, however I can tell you it is not the norm for this group and I would recommend them highly.

Back
Top Bottom