Selky charters / kyaa blow off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smsacumen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This post is intended for one reason: to assist others considering travel to the Long Beach, CA area for some diving on a charter. I’m not a bomb thrower so I’ll just lay out the raw details and you can make your decision from there. Apologies for the length but hey it’s just the facts.

BACKGROUND:

Three guys: one Chicago based shop owner / Instructor, an instructor and a DM (me). Fly to Vegas to take care of some business for two days at DEMA then drive to California for two days of diving. Yeah the diving’s for fun, but we’re also looking for good locations / operations to add some shorter four to five day shop organized trips for our customers. After much research on what’s available in SoCal I settled on Selky Charters operated by “Captain Kyaa”. Pretty straightforward, right?

EMAIL CHAIN / HOW THINGS PLAYED OUT:

AUGUST 23, 2014 – 10:25AM (ME TO SELKY CHARTERS): Hello Kyaa, hope this email finds you well. A few of us from a shop in Chicago are going to be attending DEMA in November and are hoping to add a few days of diving in So Cal after. Appears that a lot of boats in the area are of the “cattle” style and we’re going to do everything in our power to avoid that. We’d be looking to dive Friday and Saturday, November 21 – 22, 2 or 3 divers (DM / instructors), 3 – 4 dives a day. We are low maintenance, flexible, fun, don’t mind paying more for a good situation and don’t mind others on the boat (just not 20!). If this is something you might be able to accommodate please provide some base info, otherwise if you could refer someone I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks much and enjoy your weekend.

AUGUST 23, 2014 – 8:15PM (SELKY CHARTERS TO ME): Hi Steve, Thanks for writing. Love Great Lakes divers. :) Lol... Understood. I even try to run my big boat trips like my six pack to avoid the cattle feel. I'll pencil you in for those dates on my "little" boat and we'll figure out some great trips with some local talent to fill out the boat. Let's chat some more and figure out good variety. Winter waters here are either atrocious and we don't go out or perfect. Base info, $100-200 per depending on destination, tanks, weights, food, bevs included on basically a comfortable lifeguard boat.
I'll pencil you in and we'll figure it out as we get closer to November. Cheers, Kyaa

AUGUST 24, 2014 – 11:09AM (ME TO SELKY CHARTERS): Hey Kyaa, thanks for the quick reply. Love Great Lakes Divers, eh? How's that saying go, "you ain't seen nuthin yet"? No worries, we're just good guys that like to have a good time. Info is appreciated and thanks for penciling us in. Understand on the conditions issue. I'll just firm things up with my fellow travelers and give you a final confirmation, then we can work out the details later. If you need anything else from me just say the word. Cheers!

SEPTEMBER 26, 2014 – 12:54PM (ME TO SELKY CHARTERS): Kyaa- Just wanted to follow up on our below discussion regarding the November 21 - 22 charter and let you know we have 3 divers confirmed thus far with the possibility of adding 1 or 2 more (still working on them). If there's any advantage to booking with you through the shop just let me know and I will have the owner who is part of our group reach out to you. And if you need a deposit or anything just say the word. I also wanted to see if you had any recommendation for lodging in the area. I assume you are still out of Alamitos Bay Marina (per website) and we're looking for something rather close with Huntington Beach probably being the furthest point we'd consider. We're more location over accommodation types and something near or on the water within walking distance of some bars / restaurants would be optimal. Thanks for any info you can provide. Take care and have a good weekend!

SEPTEMBER 26, 2014 – 9:11PM (SELKY CHARTERS TO ME): Hi, Headed offshore tonight so reeeally quick. Best Western Golden Sails Long Beach or Pacific Inn Seal Beach (reeeally close/walking distance to Main Strteet, Seal Beach - last silly little beach town in CA!) both nice and quite close. Don't need a deposit or anything just yet. Consider yourself confirmed. Cheers, Kyaa

NOVEMBER 10, 2014 – 8:56PM (ME TO SELKY CHARTERS): Hey Kyaa, hope you're doing well! We're getting closer to our discussed November 21 - 22 charter and I wanted to follow up with you and see if you need anything further from us. Also if you could let me know some details on us hooking up with you at the marina / boat and any other details we need that would be great. We're totally flexible and open for whatever you recommend though we're hoping to be able to hit a rig at some point during the two days. Thanks much!!

NOVEMBER 12, 2014 – 10:22AM (SELKY CHARTERS TO ME): Hi Steve, I am, thank you. Hope you are too. :) Next week is still a bit up in the air for me as we are on the fence attempting to decide whether we're going to run an extreme outer island extended research trip next week. The thing I don't know is whether I'll be here...lol 11/22 is no problem as our Express boat will definitely be running a 3 tank, $110 all inclusive (tanks, weights, food, bevs) trip to Catalina. You can book that online through our website sundiver.net and add on rental gear there too if needed. 11/21 (and rigs) kinda depends on me being here to run you in our six pack. I'm sorry to keep you waiting on that day but we will make a decision here in a day or two and I'll follow up asap. The research trip is to San Nicolas - the furthest West of the Channel Islands - and has already been rescheduled twice this Fall. Nicolas is tough this time of year due to likely difficult weather. :-/ Talk to you soon! Kyaa

NOVEMBER 12, 2014 – 10:43AM (ME TO SELKY CHARTERS): Kyaa- Thanks for the response. We've been in touch with you since August and were clear initially that we selected you based on the fact you operate a 6 pack boat and we don't dive cattle boats. Thus, three people from Chicago have made travel plans including flights, rental car and hotel based on our conversation dating back to August during which I've repeatedly offered deposits etc and you advised on September 26, " Consider yourself confirmed". Please tell me you'll be able to honor our reservation as discussed in detail in the below string. Thanks.

NOVEMBER 12, 2014 – 10:49AM (SELKY CHARTERS TO ME): Yes, sorry. You are correct. Juggling too many balls as usual this morning and didn't fully review your thread. We will take care of it and get you out on the six pack both days. Apologies Kyaa

NOVEMBER 12, 2014 – 10:57AM (ME TO SELKY CHARTERS): Whew, thanks. You made my heart skip a beat! Didn't mean to come off as an ******* but we've been relying on your word for months as we get this trip together. Thanks, all is good....so back to my initial (logistics) questions below. Also, if you need a CC# or anything just say the word.

NOVEMBER 14, 2014 – 10:13PM (ME TO SELKY CHARTERS): Hey Kyaa, just wanted to follow up again on the below. Please let me know when you have a chance, thanks!

NOVEMBER 19, 2014 – 3:18PM. I called Selky Charters phone number and it immediately went to voicemail. I left a message following up with her and requested a return call. I then called two Sundiver phone numbers and again heard Kyaa’s voice on both outgoing voicemail greetings.

NOVEMBER 19, 2014 – 3:45/PM. We talked to Greg of California Ships to Reefs on the DEMA floor and got some good lead information on backup options for our California diving plans. Thanks Greg!

NOVEMBER 19, 2014 – EVENING. Our one night in Vegas and we spent a lot of it researching other diving options in southern California.

NOVEMBER 20, 2014 – 11:30PM. We arrived at Alamitos Bay Marina and found the Selky Charters six pack boat docked within as well as one of the two Sundiver boats. One of the Sundiver boats was obviously not in the marina.

NOVEMBER 21, 2014 – 5:45AM. We returned to the marina and the situation had not changed: the Selky Charters six pack and only one Sundiver boat present. The Sundiver office was also closed up. We waited at the marina until 7:00AM and then left after no one affiliated with the boats arrived. We then drove down to Laguna Beach where we had a great experience with Rob of Laguna Beach Sea Sports. We rented tanks and weights and dove Shaw’s Cove and then Seal Rock and Dead Man’s Reef. After all we’d been through trying to get out as reserved with Selky Charters we had a great day of diving and were happy just to be in the water.

NOVEMBER 21, 2014 – 8:14AM. I called Selky Charters and it again immediately went to voicemail.

NOVEMBER 22, 2014 – 5:45/AM. We returned to Alamitos Bay Marina where the Selky six pack and a Sundiver boat were still docked. Per their website, Sundiver asked divers to arrive at 6:00AM for a 7:00AM departure. At around 6:00AM divers started showing up and eventually we met Sundiver staff Jules and Ray who said they had room for us on the charter to Catalina that day. They had no idea about our situation with Selky Charters / Kyaa when we arrived and after discussing our reservation plight we learned that the Selky boat was actually owned by Sundiver and operated as a subsidiary by Kyaa. Kyaa was out on the second Sundiver boat at San Nicolas having left on Tuesday, November 18. Thus she had six days since she said “we will take care of it and get you out on the six pack both days” to pick up the phone – it would have taken ONE single phone call or an email forward – to let them know we were coming and needed to be accommodated on Friday. They would have gotten us out on the six pack. And the claim we would get out on the six pack “both days” was also patently false because Sundiver has three boats and two captains – Kyaa and Ray – and she was out on San Nicolas and Ray was captain on the Express with 20 divers booked for Saturday. If the Sundiver boat was full on Saturday when we showed up we would have been completely SOL and driving back down to Laguna Beach for more shore diving.

We had a great time that day on Sundiver and really appreciated the fact that Jules and Ray just let us three guys from Chicago do our thing. We’re already discussing a return shop trip with customers to CA but would only consider dealing with Jules and Ray of Sundiver – people that “get it” about diver respect for one another. Being completely stood up by Selky Charters without even an acknowledgment or apology for what was flat out bad business and disrespect to other dive professionals ain’t happening again to us or the other divers who lean on us for travel. I’m sure Kyaa’s a good person and a good captain, but again, one phone call or forward of the email string is all it would have taken for her to keep her word.

Had several experiences with Kyaa and she is committed in pleasing her customers. I am surprised about your experience and seems to me that she somehow made some internal scheduling mistake. We all have had bad days at work including the best of us and it sounds like it was one of those when she "penciled you in". I dive with her regularly and never had any issues...as a matter of fact the entire Sundiver crew as you found out by Ray and Jules, always strive to please their divers and make their dives memorable experiences.

Take it from someone that started diving with Kyaa on the wrong foot over a hunting disagreement.

I think that you should give her another chance...afterall you know that she will make it extra special after this experience.

I think that you should give her another chance...afterall you know that she will make it extra special after this experience.

dytis-sm, Would you really give someone another chance if you had traveled across the country to go diving and they didn't even return your calls? I wouldn't!

smsacumen, I would look at Truth Aquatics the next time you come to California. They are a great organization with awesome boats and crew. You won't be disappointed. Check their website and calendar.

Truth Aquatics: The Best In Liveaboard Diving, Island Kayaking and Hiking
Truth Aquatics Schedule and Rates

Reactions: Zog
It pushed me over the rails on that one. This So Cal scuba board site is pretty lame, with frivolous complaints. Steve, are you serious? You called that much and then even offered a CC#? And then you tried to dis Kyaa Heller? Or throw mud her way? By the way, you're speaking to California, we're her divers, if you could come half as close to running running just one of her 3 boats as you are as good as "dialing a telephone," I'd then consider what you're bagging on her operation amounts...to anything. I wouldn't say "she's probably happy she didn't have to take you and add your intense inquiries into her busy day," (because she's not like that, I on the other hand would be,) she doesn't give herself as much as she gives to divers-yes, that'd be us. I don't know you, let me pass along a smidgen of advise, "you certainly don't want to get on that crappy side that you seem to be doing an excellent job here!) And again, she does everything possible to provide a service of Diving for us, even if we did wake up having a bad day everyday. She doesn't have time for that, her knowing you're not from around here might have spared you. "I" on the other hand would have black-listed you from my boat permanently, wherever I Captained. She's not "temporary help,"...think about it.

And this awesome site of SB here in Sunny So Cal will back me up an ocean long, by saying this. "You're not alone, when all others, similar to you, viciously attack the reputation of someone, hoping to do damage via a social network by a list of "snivel reports," gets my attention a little bit. I've earned a superior growing list of friends here on ScubaBoard of which I'm highly proud of, from reminding the offenders that Scuba Diving is alot like life, or chapter one in Open Water training manual (how many dives have you logged again? are they signed too?) it's far from a perfect service/activity. Have a back up plan. Your primary plan should always include being polite, slight respectful, tiny bit of understanding, no matter how far you've come, how rich you are, or how big you are, cause that's personal. Nobody is perfect. We're gonna make it.

It's a California Diver quality immediately known around the world, "where" we're from, (Most of the time,) by not just our diverse nature or tolerance in minor changes in minor details, it's the wild eyed look we get from what California does for us, we pretty much like it...and that reminds me..I forgot to add some "background" of me...a prune picker. That's how awesome I am. I can't dress well, nor write well, with major grammatical and vocabulary flaws, much of which has been currently expressed by my best friends here in So Cal! Of which I am very fond of. Gratification, is what they remind me. Be cool, have fun.

H2O,

Are you really trying to defend the fact that she completely stood up a group that came from across the country? Here is the reality based off the info we have been presented:

Kyaa not only completely ****ed up, but broke her word. I'm originally from California, and that's not acceptable there either.

Constant emails and phone calls? It's called due diligence. Flaky operators have caused this issue, and honestly I didn't see where this guy was calling or emailing any more than any other cross country visitor until she started trying to back out of the trip.

no tomfcrit, I'm not. Is ScubaBoard now a daytime television drama courtroom? I want to challenge everyone from now on, to write such a detailed description on good dives, dive trips, stops at starbucks etc. Problems happen, sometimes take a deep breath, and say wtf! I'm just not so perfect to look around the world and report on who made a mistake, failing me coming all the way from the other side of the country or the planter, bus bench, etc nearby. Basically 2 choices of mine are to be happy or mad about something.

So back to original poster here: Good job, point taken, outstanding report. Now what? Book another?

Really, think of the world if the reports were filled with great things, there'd be no room to see the one mis experience, yet when I'm given my way, when my world serves me perfectly...I'm quiet. My bad, continue on in the pick a part of services.

NetDoc is teetering on the edge of a full time network reality TV show here, scripts are already in. No screening necessary.

WetDays of Our Life. Airing 24 hours a day.

Personally, as someone who comes from out of town to dive in LA myself, I am glad of a warning of an operation which proved unreliable.

Last edited:
In my opinion: If money was taken with receipt to hold a reservation and the above occurred with no refund, then there would be a litigious complaint as well. This appears to be not the case. . .

Still though, the original poster did not deserve the misleading correspondence and ultimately rude "blow-off" by Selky Charters.

As a long time offshore Los Angeles diver who frequently uses the services of SoCal Diveboats, I would like to see an explanation from Capt. Kyaa here . . .What was the cause of the misunderstanding?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom