Question Seeking itinerary advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
With Bali/Komodo planned for August 2024 I am looking for a Raja Ampat for Spring 2025, ideally February or March. Because of circumstances I am limited to just a few boat options so right now it looks like it will be the Mermaid I (same boat for Bali). I have a choice between a 9/10 day trip Sorong to Sorong or a 11/12 day trip from Lembeh to Sorong (or reversed). Obviously more logistics involved in the one way trip but ignoring that does anyone have an opinion on the two choices?

Solution
Update.

I am booked for the Mermaid LOB and now finalizing NAD-Lembeh.

Two questions for those of you with experience. As mentioned, looks like Manado to Sorong is a 7 am flight so I assume I need to plan to spend an extra day iand overnight in Manado to catch that flight.

Second question, is the 7 am flight from Manado to Sorong reasonable for a same day as LOB departure or should I also plan to arrive a day early and overnight in Sorong before the LOB.
I am assuming you are diving before the liveaboard so you have two options. Stay the night at NAD and get transport early in the AM or leave NAD in the afternoon the day before and overnight in Manado. Both work. As you won't be diving in the afternoon before the flight no...
I think this option 1 is the best one, @uncfnp
This was my first thought but when I look this up on Google travel I am getting some outrageous prices.
NC to Jakarta seems reasonable. Is there a reason not to use Jakarta both ways and then local flights CGK to MDC to SOQ to CGK?

This was my first thought but when I look this up on Google travel I am getting some outrageous prices.
NC to Jakarta seems reasonable. Is there a reason not to use Jakarta both ways and then local flights CGK to MDC to SOQ to CGK?

If the cost is bad, then roundtrip to CGK is your next best option. You can get nonstop flight early in the morning from SOQ to CGK and continue to overseas. Therefore you can leave Raja Ampat to overseas in one day (no overnight in Jakarta).

NC to Jakarta seems reasonable. Is there a reason e never not to use Jakarta both ways and then local flights CGK to MDC to SOQ to CGK?
This is what I typically find so have never done the SIN route. CGK is always significantly less $ whenever I want to fly.

It may be cheaper to do a ticket from JFK/EWR to Singapore... get your own separate ticket from North Carolina into JFK/EWR. An alternative is to price it out to Jakarta (CGK). You can compare it direct from NC on one ticket or you can see what it is if you connected in JFK/EWR or any of the major hubs that fly out to Asia. This is a perfect example of pricing and comparing everything. It's a game. It's worth the effort because you can sometimes save a lot.

Also, if you are looking at air tickets extremely early they are usually priced pretty high.

Remember, I'm here to help.... :) Just PM me!

I have been to NAD 2-3 times
What is "NAD"?
and they are very good. They guarantee 2 divers to 1 guide max (sometimes you even get your own!) and if you have photographic equipment, their facilities for rinsing/soaking/cleaning/preparing are incredible. The food is also very good there. The only downside is there isn't a great pool area if you want that. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Wifi is reliable, even for VPN and remote work.

If you like muck diving, do not miss the dive site "Sapokren" while on the liveaboard in Raja Ampat. It might be a day or night dive but it's great for muck diving.

Update.

Two questions for those of you with experience. As mentioned, looks like Manado to Sorong is a 7 am flight so I assume I need to plan to spend an extra day iand overnight in Manado to catch that flight.

Second question, is the 7 am flight from Manado to Sorong reasonable for a same day as LOB departure or should I also plan to arrive a day early and overnight in Sorong before the LOB.

Update.

I am assuming you are diving before the liveaboard so you have two options. Stay the night at NAD and get transport early in the AM or leave NAD in the afternoon the day before and overnight in Manado. Both work. As you won't be diving in the afternoon before the flight no real need to stay at NAD, just more convenient to not unpack and unpack.

The 7AM flight is reasonable to make the LOB the next day. Until it isn't. I have been burned by cancelled or delayed domestic flights within Indo more than once so I would probably stay the extra day in Sorong to be safe. However this is an early morning flight so less likely to have issues than one later in the day. Tough call - almost certainly you would be just fine to leave on the day your LOB leaves, but it is the "almost" that would worry me and catching up to a liveaboard is not cheap or easy.

Solution
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom