seeking fin recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So ive narrowed it down to the apeks rk3 and holls f1. They seem very similar, solid rubber with vent and spring strap. I have a hard time finding the specs like blade length, does the round design of the f1 provide better propulsion or are they essentially the same fins by different manufactures?

So ive narrowed it down to the apeks rk3 and holls f1. They seem very similar, solid rubber with vent and spring strap. I have a hard time finding the specs like blade length, does the round design of the f1 provide better propulsion or are they essentially the same fins by different manufactures?

These are the opposite ends of the spectrum weight wise. They both work as fins. If you dive a head heavy twinset then the F1s might be appropriate, if you dive a tail heavy rebreather then the RK3 may be correct.

Can you get to try them?

As Ken has posted not really similar at all. The F1s are very big, quite heavy and negatively buoyant. They do generate some power but do require some leg muscles. I owned them and used when DS diving, I liked them a lot but unfortunately they were too big. I ended up with some Mares Power Planas, still quite big but not as heavy, still negative but most importantly they fit me properly. Wetsuit diving my current favs are either the DiveRite XTs, Mares Turbo Planas (Malaysian version) or Quattro Plus.

I swam competitively in college and am used to kicking with fins so im not worried about leg fatigue, i noticed on my last dive that my feet were floating higher than the rest of my body when i achieved neutral buoyancy. I wont get to try them, im going to be ordering online. I was thinking about getting a pair of palladium boots to wear with them instead of dive boots because my dive boots wiggle around on my feet a lot when im approaching the shore, i would like some more stability on the rocks with all my gear on. And yes, my first dive instructor/shop was horrible, he just unloaded the fins on me despite the too small size and after my basic open water and nitrox course closed his doors and stopped taking calls. He didn't even sign my dive log, but i did get my cards in the mail. Its a shame, i thought he was a good instructor but then after my class he just shut me out.

If you have floaty feet a negative fin might be a good choice. The Mares Power Planas are a very nice fin. If they fit me wet I'd probably use them exclusively. It's a shame you can't try before you buy. I can't either and have had to order out of country a few times which has bitten me in the ass. Finding a good fin that suits can be a trial. Good luck.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2015 at 05:53 PM ----------

Your instructor might not be a bad guy, he may just be going through something difficult in his life. No consolation to you I know.

I swam competitively in college and am used to kicking with fins so im not worried about leg fatigue,

FYI -- the kick you'll want to be doing most of the time you're diving bears little resemblance to anything you've done while swimming in college.

[video=youtube;HnJzOkUH7N4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnJzOkUH7N4[/video]

Yeah, it's a little different. I've been working on developing the muscle memory for the frog kick. It definintly helps keep the visibility compared to flutter, especially near the bottom. In the lakes I've been training in I usually have 5 feet or less of visibility and that's without stirring things up.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2015 at 06:57 PM ----------

I went ahead and ordered some f1s in size xl. Ill let yall know how i like them when they get here and i try them out. Thanks for the advice.

Interesting thread guys ... thank you all.
I'm researching pretty much the same subject and also wonder why more manufacturers and suppliers can't make the important information available, even size and weight sometimes seems to be a struggled, never mind how buoyant they are!

My slightly different angle is photography, when floaty fins can be a real pain, when you are trying to get down low to take a shot and your fins are trying to do a safety stop somewhere above you!
I dive wet and dry and in the UK and abroad.
Mostly wearing twins these days.

I use various fin kicks and rely on fining to get me into position or keep me in position.

I tend to dive tech style knees bent for general getting around.

Any wisdom or input would be gratefully received and I look forward to hearing how Legato1 gets on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom