Seeking Cressi Rondine fin timeline info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for that last info Bj, somehow I missed the post and didn't see it till today.
I dove with the Rondines the other day and had mixed feelings about them. The foot pocket was very comfortable but the rubber over the instep is too thin and allows the blade to flex too much when kicking. I couldn't get maximum thrust out of them. My favorite skindiving fins are still my Voit Custom Duckfeet for thrust but I do have to wear a thin nylon sock or develop blisters on the tops of my toes. Six of one - half dozen of the other.

I've read somewhere that the prototype was made from car-tyre rubber, as raw materials were hard to come by in the postwar period. It's worth browsing through Ferraro's website, it's full of interesting information about this very versatile man.

David, one of my DIY projects for the winter is to make my own fins. I'm thinking from Lorry mud flaps.

I started out diving with Rondines in the early 50's. I am still looking for another pair. I have never had a fin as comfortable on my foot. These new ones are O K but just don't seem right. Guess I an just too set in my ways.

Ben,

What size foot do you have? I'll have a look to see if I still have a pair hiding in a dark corner somewhere.

Ben,

What size foot do you have? I'll have a look to see if I still have a pair hiding in a dark corner somewhere.

I wear size 11.It would be nice to find a pair in good shape.Of all the knock offs I have tried, nothing seems to fit just right. I started using them in the early 50's.

Ben

OK....Found the fins. Unfortunately they are indeed knockoffs. They have the swallow image molded onto the front of the blade and foot pocket. No brand that I can make out is visible. On the bottom is marked with "Made in th U.S.A 10-12 PRO" near the tip of the. Under the heal are strange designs resembling waves and lighting bolts that surround another number 389

Swallowtail_Fins.jpg

Last edited:
I have a pair I got with some vintage equipment. Size 9-11. Rubber is still good. I will get some picks up later once I get back into my garage and continue the cleaning out process.

I have a pair I got with some vintage equipment. Size 9-11. Rubber is still good. I will get some picks up later once I get back into my garage and continue the cleaning out process.

pics

2012-03-04_10-20-03_812.jpg

2012-03-04_10-20-18_597.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom