Seeking advice for 3 week first Philippine dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue Sue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all, It looks like the Frequent Flyer Goddess has given my DH and I an opportunity to fly to the Philippines for our dive trip for Spring next year. I still need to get my head around the long flight (s), but I expect the time involved will be so worth it. While I am working on the flight anxiety...:ermm:, I am seeking advice on the what's, where's and how's. Any suggestions would be so helpful. To give an idea of what we are looking for, here are some ideas we have:

Trip time: 3 weeks
Diving: Photography is a main focus. Critters and Corals. Macro/muck; Really enjoy nudi's, teenie critters and turtles. But, also enjoy Big Critters too, so please don't count them out. :)
Small dive operation; 6 pack max; Focused on experienced divers; Professional DM's/guides
Dive time based on computer air limit; 2 - 4 dives per dive day; 30 - 80 feet ; 60 - 90 min bottom time. Nitrox required. Intermittent full sit out days are a must.
Night diving; Shore diving, Exterior wreck
Enjoy slow to moderate current, but would not rule out some heavier current to experience pelagics if needed
Would be willing to travel to different locations

Lodging: Basic - Moderate; Small, intimate, boutique; B & B, condo, cottage. Quiet and off the beaten path is wonderful ! Clean and friendly most important :)

Food: Restaurants are fine, however, small local dining or cooking in is most enjoyable.

Transportation: Just need to get around from point A to point B. Public or private transportation.

Topside: Would enjoy including some sights. We also hope to be able to spend at least 2 days in Manila and 2 days on Boracay to visit with our Daughter-in-law's family. :hugs:.

Ok, I think I have covered our wish list; Again, any advice regarding planning our itinerary would be so helpful.

Best Regards to all, Sue

Hi Sue,

Anilao and Puerto Galera spring to mind immediately for probably 90% of what you want to see and photograph, big stuff unlikely though.

Anilao is a 2-3 hour drive from Manila and PG is an hour from Batangas next to Anilao, so no more flying involved once you reach Manila.

For PG I have used Atlantis and Asia Divers, both are very good and have pros and cons but Atlantis are much more expensive as they only offer a full package, and my recent quote was twice that of Asia Divers with whom I am now using at the end of October.

Atlantis guides are excellent, especially Rusty. When I last dived with Asia Divers two years ago they did not have local guides but I do believe this has now changed

PG has a lot of critters and I can't wait to get back there.

I have not dived at Anilao yet but that is the first part of my trip next month, and really looking forward to it. I have chosen Crystal Blue Dive resort primarily because it was recommended by other photographers and shore diving is available, but you can cheaper options.

If you do go there and also end up diving Verde Island, leave your camera on the boat if you dive the "Washing Machine"

You might already know this, but don't use your user name in the Philippines :wink:

I'm returning from 7 days at Tech Asia in Puerto Galera right now (actually, Sabang/Small La Laguna which is where Atlantis and all the other shops are). Be sure to give them a look if you're thinking of going to PG.

Hi Sue,

Anilao and Puerto Galera spring to mind immediately for probably 90% of what you want to see and photograph, big stuff unlikely though.

Anilao is a 2-3 hour drive from Manila and PG is an hour from Batangas next to Anilao, so no more flying involved once you reach Manila.

For PG I have used Atlantis and Asia Divers, both are very good and have pros and cons but Atlantis are much more expensive as they only offer a full package, and my recent quote was twice that of Asia Divers with whom I am now using at the end of October.

Atlantis guides are excellent, especially Rusty. When I last dived with Asia Divers two years ago they did not have local guides but I do believe this has now changed

PG has a lot of critters and I can't wait to get back there.

I have not dived at Anilao yet but that is the first part of my trip next month, and really looking forward to it. I have chosen Crystal Blue Dive resort primarily because it was recommended by other photographers and shore diving is available, but you can cheaper options.

If you do go there and also end up diving Verde Island, leave your camera on the boat if you dive the "Washing Machine"

You might already know this, but don't use your user name in the Philippines :wink:

Thanks for the information to all. I appreciate the help.

Also to Searcaigh : Ah yes... I ended up with this handle before I found out from my Filipino family. And by a total coincidence the term applies..... :blush::chuckle::cheeky: Ok, so, no more on that subject ! :speaknoevil: :wink1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom