SecurityIng light not so cheap after all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After seeing recommendations for this light on a couple of threads, I bought one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8Z7PZC/

$34 w/free shipping sounded really good. It immediately became my primary light, relegating my DGX 600s to backup status. The main reason being the butt-mounted on/off switch made it very easy to use the SecurityIng light one-handed. It doesn't seem to have quite as tight of a beam as the DGX 600. But, close enough that I was willing to have the slightly reduced light on my target in exchange for the ease of use.

I was diving wrecks full of sharks off NC week before last. One dive, I started to follow my buddy into a lightzone penetration on one of the wrecks. I reached for my light to turn it on and it was not there.

When I got out, I found that the bolt snap for the light was still clipped to my chest D-ring. And the cave line that I used to tie the bolt snap to the light was still there. But, the cave line was cut/broken, allowing the light to fall off. The big end was tucked through a bungee loop lower down on the shoulder strap and obviously not enough to hold the light on by itself.

As near as I can figure, the lanyard hole on the butt of the light must have edges in the hole that are sharp enough to have gradually sawed away at the cave line. Bummer, as I only had that light for just over 2 months. $34 for the light plus a $10 battery gone. Doesn't seem like such a great deal now.... :-\

So, word to the wise, if you get one of these lights, take care how you secure it to yourself.

major bummer for you. how many loops of line were in there? I don't actually use cave line with mine, I use bungee prusik loops on all of my lights. I much prefer it, but it obviously isn't DIR kosher. Haven't had any problems with abrasion cutting through the line on my and have had it for a while now. If you replace, may be worth taking some sand paper and smoothing the edges out. will be doing that to mine tonight

major bummer for you. how many loops of line were in there?

All my bolt snaps are attached as shown how here:

Dive Gear Express® | Official Site | Dive Gear Express®

So, I guess you'd say there were 2 loops.

I don't think I'm going to get another one of these lights. I have 2 DGX 600s and I think that is enough of that size light. Instead, I am starting to look for a 3 LED light that takes just 1 26650 (or maybe even 1 32650). I have developed a strong preference for lights that are only 1 cell, to keep the length down. They are much more comfortable (to me, of course) for mounting on the back of my hand in a soft Goodman handle. And I am not doing dives that are long enough to need more burn time than what I can get from a 1 cell light with a good battery in it.

major bummer for you. how many loops of line were in there? I don't actually use cave line with mine, I use bungee prusik loops on all of my lights. I much prefer it, but it obviously isn't DIR kosher. Haven't had any problems with abrasion cutting through the line on my and have had it for a while now. If you replace, may be worth taking some sand paper and smoothing the edges out. will be doing that to mine tonight
Do you have any pics of your setup?
May be worth it? I am going to sand the crap out of my next light!

It is also possible to examine the condition of such tie-ons occasionally, just as one checks hoses and other fittings.

may be worth taking some sand paper and smoothing the edges out. will be doing that to mine tonight

May be worth it? I am going to sand the crap out of my next light!

Quick note: it might be worth it to purchase a deburring tool, which can be had for ~$5. That tool can give metal a nice, smooth chamfer quickly and easily I've had much more success with that tool than with sandpaper, especially on inner edges where sandpaper can be hard to reach.

The other thing I've done in the past is used a sanding stone on my dremel to deburr the edges. I take the thinner conical stone and lightly run it across the opening....only issue there is the stones don't last long when deburring corners.

It is also possible to examine the condition of such tie-ons occasionally, just as one checks hoses and other fittings.
Wasn't thinking it would snap on a 5th dive.
Quick note: it might be worth it to purchase a deburring tool, which can be had for ~$5. That tool can give metal a nice, smooth chamfer quickly and easily I've had much more success with that tool than with sandpaper, especially on inner edges where sandpaper can be hard to reach.

The other thing I've done in the past is used a sanding stone on my dremel to deburr the edges. I take the thinner conical stone and lightly run it across the opening....only issue there is the stones don't last long when deburring corners.
Thanks for pointing that up, I was thinking about dremel anyway.

Just be VERY careful with the dremel. It's VERY easy to get carried away.

Back
Top Bottom