Securing your regulator, spg and other hoses.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The yoke knob points away from the diver unless you have the tank turned around. DIN or yoke won't make any difference in getting knocked in the neck or head by the reg, unless you have a DIN reg on a yoke adapter, which will put the reg an inch closer to your head. That inch makes a really big difference.

You're right. I have DIN on my tanks but when traveling I have had to use a DIN to yoke adapter at times, and I can feel it behind me but didn't realize that the discomfort was due to the additional thickness of the adapter. Thanks for the clarification.

Burhan, I would generally agree with you (if one buddy is OOA, you're both surfacing, period) but one day I felt a tug and saw my buddy swimming alongside me, merrily attached to my octopus and just waving me on. We were probably in 20-35 feet of water looking for anything edible on a sand bottom (usually flounder) and he was nearly out of air. Because I had a bigger tank (96cf) and generally sucked less air, he just figured why surface when there's still plenty of air in *my* tank?

The exception that proves the rule I guess. My octo has always live in an Octopocket in my BC, one good pull and the Velcro flap opens and it comes out.

But that isn't what you should do when you or your buddy is OOA at all. This is contrary to all rules related to handling OOA. When one of the team is OOA and you are sharing air, there is only one, and only one, thing to do here, go up to the surface. When you are OOA and using an octo., pony bottle or any type of contingency/emergency scuba, there is only one thing to do, go up and absolutely one must not use the contingency/emergency scuba to extend one's bottom time for further diving activities at all. When you or your buddy is OOA, you are going up nothing else.

Why would a dive buddy team "swim side by side" when they are sharing air in an OOA situation??? They are still going to continue the dive looking at fish? If they are going to go up to end the dive and get to the surface, and this is the only thing they should be doing in this scenario, they are going to be going up facing each other and holding on to each other's BC with one hand each while controlling their buoyancy with the other hand. Having a hose that is longer than 39 - 42 inches is a waste of rubber and isn't necessary (for recreational single BM tank setup).
Returning to the shot line.

This can be an advantage since it gives the OOA diver something to hold onto which will help with buoyancy, there are likely to be other divers on the shot line and so more gas available and lastly it may be required for pickup at the surface.

@Goingforsound

I would rotate the regulator mostly 90* over and have your octo coming out of the bottom, long hose out of one side with the LPI *long hose towards the tank, LPI towards you*, and the spg going down.

alternatively you can rotate it over ~45*, and have the long hose out the bottom.

In either scenario, ideal tank positioning occurs when the valve outlet and the top of the shoulder straps are in the same plane. You take your hands and pull the shoulder straps up as if you were going to pick the rig up, and the valve outlet should be at the top of the straps. That allows you to actually manipulate the valve if you have to, as well as have the first stage nest in the crook of your neck when you look forwards. If it hits your head at this point, you need to likely tighten your crotch strap as the rig is riding up on you when in the water

I tried 180 deg rotation during the night dive and it worked really good!

Still hits my head by just sligthly if I over extend.

100 min night dive and very happy with the new setup! Thanks guys!

First, we teach Octo. breathing swimming side by side with the standard length octo hose and it isn't a a problem at all. Second, why would a pair of recreational divers who aren't in an overhead environment have to swim horizontally and not upwards towards when they are sharing air in an OOA situation? You say "Lots of situations," give me some examples please (it is very late here and I am too tired to think of these many situations :) ).

Not a problem,
Firstly, the standard hose length for an octo is far too short, especially when swimming side by side. I've seen this by showing examples to my students (hundreds of OW certs). at best, it places stress on the receivers jaw and at worse, completely pulled out of the receivers mouth. it can also interfere with inflator use and adversely affect buoyancy. Most agency standards do not sufficiently cover touch contact to navigate anything other than a straight ascent. The extra length of a 5' or 7' hose gives a lot more forgiveness in all of these situations.
Further, I don't consider an air share an "emergency", with proper planning (rock bottom etc) this is just a dive ender not a last ditch effort to stay alive.

Situations, other than cave/wreck that a team could not go directly to the surface....
1. heavy boat traffic (this being the most common)
2. local regulations require it (shore entry and exit)
3. must return to anchor line (diving on a wreck or reef)
4. water conditions directly above too rough, must navigate underwater to protected bay. This could include surface currents and/or waves.

As I recall, you are a supporter of the standard configuration, non technical and dive in pretty benign conditions....I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom