securing cylinders in transit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I'm transporting tanks to/from the dive site/boat they are in the trunk between the rebreather and gear box. No need for a way to secure them as they can't roll around sandwiched between things. If I'm taking tanks to get fills, they are either in the backseat on the floor (one or two tanks), in the trunk with the pool noodles others have posted (2+ tanks) or in a milk crate for the case of rebreather bottles. For longer road trips, I'll stand them up against the back seat and use a ratchet strap to secure them upright. This way there is more room for the rest of the gear.

Did you know that you can actually buy "milk" crates from several sources?

The one picture in the OP's post appear to have been stolen from WAWA.

that's not my photo - i quickly grabbed that pic in my OP from the net just to illustrate my point. i steal mine from around back of the discount grocery store - the one that's so "discount" as to be without security cameras. :wink: I wish I we had Wawa's in the midwest! I miss Wawa coffee!

i love the idea of inserting pvc tubes inside pool noodles and tying them together. ashamed i didn't think of it. so simple. just what I was hoping for. i'll likely rig up some ratchet straps to keep everything bound together - will be better than individual tanks bouncing around in an accident, even if it's not perfect.

call me lazy, but no way am I unpacking and repacking my soft weights... kudos to Marie and anyone else with the gumption to be slinging their weights around that much!

@wheeledgoat the weights used for blocked my tanks are extras. My used weights live in weight bag in my trunk, anyway.

I bought 4 sets of these. I mounted 2 sets each to pieces of wood for stability as well as being able to take them separate them into 4 pieces. They work great and are very sturdy. If we need to carry more than 4 tanks, we can stack the extras on top and the bungees keep them from sliding. I then run a long bungee across the top to lock the extras down.

I've been using these in the back of my truck for well over a year and they are great. I mounted them on a 2x4 frame that secures under the side rails of the bed. By standing the tanks upright, I get much more usable space in the bed. They handle all common tanks, though it's a bit tight on 8" cylinders (most of my tanks are 7.25")

I was initially concerned about durability and/or security but I've had zero issues (I have tanks in my truck more often than not).

super_2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom