Securing backup light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a diver who died this year - seemingly because of a neck bungee getting tangled. One small issue in an unbroken chain of small issues that killed a diver with 100 times more experience than you. In zero viz, the 'simple problem' cost the life of two experienced technical divers...the initial diver and his buddy (a friend of mine). He did try and cut it... and failed...and made his situation worse (fatal).

Would a single zip tie attach between a reg and a neck bungie allow for safe/Hogarthian use of a bungie?

Build a short neck bungie with two small (big enough for a zip tie only) loop ends
use a snorkle keeper for the reg
Attach both looped ends of the snorkel keeper and both looped ends of the bungie via a single zip tie running through all 4 loops

In the event of an entanglement a firm twist/pull on the zip-tied assembly will snap the zip tie freeing the entire thing. The bungie and snorkel keeper are no longer tethered to anything attached to you and are donated to the sea gods.

I know a diver who died this year - seemingly because of a neck bungee getting tangled. One small issue in an unbroken chain of small issues that killed a diver with 100 times more experience than you. In zero viz, the 'simple problem' cost the life of two experienced technical divers...the initial diver and his buddy (a friend of mine). He did try and cut it... and failed...and made his situation worse (fatal).

I realise this is an older thread, but have never heard of an accident caused by a neck bungee before. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

I was wondering if there is a write-up somewhere on this accident so that we can learn from it? I looked in the A&I forum but couldn't find anything.

Its hard for me to fathom a neck bungee contributing to ones own death myself and would also like to hear the details. I do carry 2 knives in case of line problems and cutting loose a bungee seems easy enough. Since sidemounting, I started wearing a helmet and backups ride up there out of the way and easily reachable, with primary light on an elastic goodman and a 4th backup in a chest pouch for handing off to another diver should they need one.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom