Securing a cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I need some ideas on how to secure a 444 cubic foot cylinder in a trailer. The cylinder must be able to be easily secured and then unsecured to take out of the trailer. The trailer is enclosed and there doesn't seem to be any really good points to attach to. The cylinder weighs 144 lbs empty.

you could get 4 wedges, put 2 on each side across from each other and get some ratcheting tie downs to go around each pair of wedges to keep them in place. I would also put some sticky rubber mats under the wedges to help prevent them from sliding. get wegdes wide enough that they won't be prone to flop over when using the brakes.

Forget the tank. I tried to do the same thing. I had a hard time mounting it on my back plate and had the problem of kicking it with my fins. But if you insist on transporting it, do you want it to stand up or lay down?

You could try two triangles of wood attached together like this: /\__/\ that will prevent the tank from rolling around.

jbd:
I need some ideas on how to secure a 444 cubic foot cylinder in a trailer. The cylinder must be able to be easily secured and then unsecured to take out of the trailer. The trailer is enclosed and there doesn't seem to be any really good points to attach to. The cylinder weighs 144 lbs empty.

I got a better question. what the heck are you going to do with it by transporting it?

mike_s:
I got a better question. what the heck are you going to do with it by transporting it?
Its a storage tank that goes with my compressor which is a portable. This way I can have air at sites were there is no compressed. I'm working on getting 2 or 3 more of these 444 cuft cylinders to have a more efficient cascade system.

BTW I have worked out the securement issue.

jbd:
Its a storage tank that goes with my compressor which is a portable. This way I can have air at sites were there is no compressed. I'm working on getting 2 or 3 more of these 444 cuft cylinders to have a more efficient cascade system.

Holy cow! that's a huge portable cascade system.

You could fill at least 20 of AL80's with that. More at a higher PSI

Wonder what they trailer would look like if someone rear-ended it and broke a valve? I can see the witness description of "then the trailer took off like a UFO" and flew out of here!!!! The copy would drug test the witness.

mike_s:
Holy cow! that's a huge portable cascade system.

You could fill at least 20 of AL80's with that. More at a higher PSI

Wonder what they trailer would look like if someone rear-ended it and broke a valve? I can see the witness description of "then the trailer took off like a UFO" and flew out of here!!!! The copy would drug test the witness.
Mike,
Take a look at this thread with some great info from Charlie99 and lamont
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=91892&page=1&pp=10 I can only fill two tanks from the 444 if the tanks are not totally empty. 3 to 4 of the 444's would give me better filling capacity and is quicker than filling one tank at a time straight off the compressor.

jbd:
Mike,
3 to 4 of the 444's would give me better filling capacity and is quicker than filling one tank at a time straight off the compressor.

If you have 3 or 4 of them also hooked up as "banks" on the compressor, it'd keep you from having to run your compressor as much also.

I don't have a compressor, but I've been told that it's better to run them for longer fills than it is to turn them on-and-off many times.

mike_s:
If you have 3 or 4 of them also hooked up as "banks" on the compressor, it'd keep you from having to run your compressor as much also.

I don't have a compressor, but I've been told that it's better to run them for longer fills than it is to turn them on-and-off many times.
Thats the same thing I have heard also. I bought a compressor that I'm supposed to be a able to run for several hours before having to shut it down so there isn't a problem with filling these 444's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom