secure your gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of snorkel keepers...you can easily make a figure 8 snorkel keeper from an old inner tire. Take a sturdy one, as sun/salt water/chlorine will dry out the rubber but if you don't take it off/on a lot it will last for a while. At least longer than the keeper that probably came with your snorkel. Hair ties work as an improvised one too.

I once had a diver that lost his GoPro because he clipped it to the chest strap of the bcd during the safety stop, which is the first strap he undid when taking off his gear to climb onto the boat ladder (after his weightbelt, obviously)....Despite losing it in 16m of clear water, never found it again.

Better still, never take your mask off till you are back on dry land or on the boat. There is no need, ever, to take off before then. In fact, there are multiple problems that can occur if you take off in the water. Lose it, get water in your eyes, cannot see properly and more. Same with reg, never take out until you are on land or the boat.

You might want to add, secure the consuls to the BC somehow because it's painful to see consuls dragging across the reef and the bottom.

Sorry, can't help it, this is making me laugh, but it *would* be painful for the consuls to be dragged along the reef and bottom:

"consul[ kon-suhl ]noun
1. an official appointed by the government of one country to look after its commercial interests and the welfare of its citizens in another country."

Perhaps you mean console? Although English is tricky, console could mean:

"verb (used with object) [con·soled, con·sol·ing.]
1. to alleviate or lessen the grief, sorrow, or disappointment of; give solace or comfort: Only his children could console him when his wife died.

noun
1. a television, phonograph, or radio cabinet
2. the control or monitoring unit of a computer, containing the keyboard or keys, switches, etc."

Anyway thanks for the laugh.

Same with reg, never take out until you are on land or the boat.

..or you suck the tank dry.

I don't ever have enough gas left in the tank to make the 15 to 30 minute surface swim back to the beach (and sometimes the boat), that is why I think a snorkel is rather handy. In addition the gas left in the tank could come in handy if an emergency arises on the swim back. But that's just me.

Bob
--------------------------------
"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

I was taught that a mask on the top of the head meant a diver in trouble...

We teach that as well. If an instructor sees you doing it it's a "Snickers violation" meaning, you owe the instructor a Snickers bar. It used to be a beer, but we have a lot of under 21 students :wink:

---------- Post added July 15th, 2014 at 10:45 AM ----------

I once had a diver that lost his GoPro because he clipped it to the chest strap of the bcd during the safety stop, which is the first strap he undid when taking off his gear to climb onto the boat ladder (after his weightbelt, obviously)....Despite losing it in 16m of clear water, never found it again.

I loaned my GoPro to my dive buddy once (he's a much better videographer than I am). I always bungee it to a d-ring. Somehow, he lost the bungee but not the camera!

I don't ever have enough gas left in the tank to make the 15 to 30 minute surface swim back to the beach

wow. thats crazy. i think you are my new hero. i would never even consider doing that.

Better still, never take your mask off till you are back on dry land or on the boat. There is no need, ever, to take off before then. In fact, there are multiple problems that can occur if you take off in the water. Lose it, get water in your eyes, cannot see properly and more. Same with reg, never take out until you are on land or the boat.

I always love these "never" comments.

NEVER EVER take your regulator out of your mouth while in the water....
NEVER, EVER take your mask off on the surface... doesn't matter if you want to spit into it to defog it, want to wash all the snot off your face before entering the boat.. or for any reason ever! Never attempt to remove the mask if it is leaking and re-seat the mask strap and maks skirt and hood... Doing something like this is potentially fatal. you must completely exit the water... even having your fin tips dangling in the water, while you sit on the platform is horribly dangerous.. what if you slipped off the platform into the water and your mask was off??? then what??

Maybe the instructor's mask was too tight? :rofl3:

quite possible lol
i fished it from the bottom of the canal near the shore though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom