Secrets of the Kelp Forest...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost always see a sea lion or harbor seal when I dive, at just about every dive location. I remember one that played hide and seek with fuggler and I, it was cute, we would go around a corner and there it would be waiting for us.
You'll get bombed by them at the end of breakwater, too.

I almost always see a sea lion or harbor seal when I dive, at just about every dive location. I remember one that played hide and seek with fuggler and I, it was cute, we would go around a corner and there it would be waiting for us.
You'll get bombed by them at the end of breakwater, too.

At BW it's mostly sea lions, but at the moment they're almost all off mating or else hanging out under Wharf #2. They generally return to BW in April, when the cormorants start letting them back on the rocks. Occasionally you'll see a harbor seal at BW, but as others have said you're more likely to spot them at McAbee, Lover's, or Coral Street. I've also had them come up and get personal at Lobos, have seen 4 of them snoozing on the bottom tucked under pipes just NW of BW towards Hidden Beach, and had one come up to the three of us and demand to have its belly rubbed while doing our safety stop at North Monastery.

AOTBE I prefer the seals; the sea lions tend to act more like teenage skateboarders:)

Guy

Not to jump off the topic, but I'm truly curious -- how do you collect and dispose of your garbage without using plastic bags? I'd be happy to no longer use them for groceries, but in the apartment I live in, I need to use a garbage bag that I can seal up.

Use something like these biodegradable bags then. The cost, if you go through one per week, is next to nothing.

Biodegradable, Compostable Kitchen Bags by BIOgroupUSA for composting organic waste
http://usa.ecosafeplastics.com/qs/product/46/2772/145382/0/0

Buy from the link below and give them away to friends and neighbors. We can spread the word and convince others to stop using plastic. I have helped convert a number of people into using cloth grocery bags.
Bio Bags from Amazon 48 bags in 4 packages.

Robin and I found several Harbor Seals underwater at McAbee Beach. They sandwich their fat little sausage bodies into the rocks and “hang-out”… We also found that they ambush the Sea Otters and try to steal their food! Great fun!!!

McAbee is known for being the seal hangout. I have seen one there on every dive. The only time I have ever touched or been touched was by a Sea Lion in bad vis far out in the ocean on the North Coast. At one point I had my hand on it's chest keeping it at a distance I was more comfortable with, for probably 5 seconds or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom