Second Annual RMO bash at the Blue Hole Aug 19th~20th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here is the official thread for the Second Annual RMO get together.

I apologize that it's a bit of late notice, and that it's so far from where many of us live. However Blue Hole, NM in Santa Rosa provides a good area to dive with good to excellant vis (30~80+ feet) and this will work well for people in NM who certainly can not be expected to drive 6 hours to dive in our local Mud Holes.

HERE is a link that provides information on the diving, and lodging.

We typically stay at the Best Western Adobe Inn. The rooms are large, and most have two Queen beds. They are typically clean if not a bit outdated. There is a lot of space to hang gear overnight, and spread out. Tell them you are with a Denver LDS (A1 Scuba works), and the rates are the lowest they offer, about $50.

All hotels in Santa Rosa are a few minutes drive from the Hole. If you prefer more upscale accomodations, I would suggest La Quinta, but plan on spending $80~$90 a night. LaQuina has a nice hot tub, an indoor pool, and a locked area near the lobby for storing gear. For those that want to do things on the cheap I believe the Sunset Hotel is in the $30 a night range, but don't expect great accomodations, and I may have the name wrong.

Air fills are available at the Hole (Kevin, Stella does have her compressor back up and running, correct?). They also have a number of things you can rent including tanks, wetsuits, and other items. The best best is to bring your own equipment or call Stella as I can not say for certain what is available.

Santa Rosa has a fee to dive which last I was there is $8 for a week pass. Sometimes they don't bother to collect this, but plan on having it ready at the Hole and the paperwork filled out so if they do collect you are ready.

The water temp is about 62F, so 5~7mm wetsuits are recommended, or drysuits. I would dive it in a 3mm on a warm day, but I don't get cold real easily, and a 3mm would definately be pushing it.

It would be fun to do a BBQ and potluck. I have a 10x10' shelter, but I think that our brothern in NM should be able to provide better digs than I could provide as they dive there on a monthly basis. In fact they will be doing a DIR-F class the weekend before, but don't let that scare you, they are a great bunch to dive with regardless of what equipment you choose to dive! :D

I am going to put this on the calandar. Please sign-up if you know you are going. Ride and hotel sharing is obviously desirable, so feel free to use this thread or PM people for details. I *think* Dan and I are going to share a car down and Hotel. Depending on who dives, and what we drive, we may have room for one, or even two more.

I can not think of anything else at this time. I hope the distance from CO or UT does not prevent people from getting out and getting some BT with this great group of people! :D

Chow!

Well, I can see by the reponse that maybe this was a bad decision. I tried to do what would work. No one wanted to commit to bad vis...

In any event, Dan and I will be at the hole on the 19th~20th. We still have room in the car, so if anyone wants to go, let us know.

If someone else want to put together a RMO SB event that is great. I'm certainly not the Lord of the Board.

Tjack:
Sounds great, I'm there! Who else is going?

At this point only Ron and myself. We are going to meet on Friday night and come back on Sunday.

I've PM'd Ron on this, but I have a OW class that is meeting on Saturday so that puts me out for that day. However, I will be out there on Sunday about 8am or so and ready to dive.

Ron, I'm bringing the spare BP&W for you to try out as well.

See you all there Sunday.....

K, this was HARDLY a RMO BASH, even if we did get together with a whopping THREE other members! Anyone want to plan something else?

Here are some trip details from another thread. IMO, you all missed out!

We had a great weekend, rain and all!

I tried a BP/W setup, and damn if I don't want one! Trim was easy, and it was as everyone says, stable as a rock, very minimal, and I did not mind wearing 10lbs of soft weight in a belt which is a far cry from the 24 I wear integrated.

My only complaint, what a bear to get out of! I think I'd go with a QR shoulder. Yes I know, evil failure point, but I really don't care, I'm not sure I want to have to attend Yoga classes to be able to get out of the thing without help!

Dan and I did five dives, two with Kevin and Will, and two with Tom from Taos. Every dive was enjoyable, even if most divers there don't seem to understand that if you kick the crap out of the bottom, the vis is GOING to suffer! Why ohhh why don't divers stay OFF the bottom.

We also saw one of the strangest divers I've ever seen. We had circled up from the bottom, and were at about 40feet staying level along the sides (typical profile) when we saw this diver approaching. I've NEVER seen so much action in my life from someone! His arms were going, his legs were going, his body was shaking, his head was bobbing, the guy was just in total motion. The irony was that we stayed at 40', and we saw him four times as we lapped with him swimming the opposite direction. He was a complet spaz, yet he maintained his buoyancy, and others in our group commented that he was not blowing bubbles huge, so likely not killing his air.. Very strange, so strange that every one of us commented on it after the dive was over!

Wow is NM green! Amazing how green, and how much rain they have been getting.

As Dan and I drove down (6 hours) we discussed what idiots we are for spending so much time, and gas on diving a place that while enjoyable, we've both done it many times, and it's a far cry from the tropics!

However once we were diving, it was worth it. Add in a couple newfound friends, and an older friend (no, I'm not calling Kevin old!), and the experience went beyond good. On the way home we discussed what we had learned (we ALWAYS learn something at the hole). I can not dive anywhere else in driving distance to 80' with good vis. Add enjoyable folks, and it all is worth the trip! Yes, we will be back I'm sure at least twice or more over the coming winter. I KNOW even with Coz in Jan, I'll be jones'n for a Hole trip shortly!

As always, it was a blast diving and chatting with you and Dan! Like you I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Good days are like that, always learn something if you pay attention!

The state is green isn't? I actually stopped on the way back to ABQ and took some pictures of some old junked cars I've been seeing right East of Clines Corners. Pretty interesting.

Glad you liked the BP&W. The getting in and out isn't so bad once you get used to it. The harness probably could have been a bit looser for you drysuit too. And, of course, you can always add the evil quick release buckles if you'd like......:eyebrow:

See ya next time!!

It was nice to meet you Ron and good to see you again Kevin. Sorry I didn't get to dive with you guys or even really get to chit chat long. It was a busy weekend. I'm sure we'll dive sometime soon. :)

Yup, a good time had by all. Surprisingly good diving, great comradery, excelent. I'm just sorry I wasn't there Sunday to meet the rest of the gang. I will definately be back at the Blue Hole soon, Peace T.

Tjack:
Yup, a good time had by all. Surprisingly good diving, great comradery, excelent. I'm just sorry I wasn't there Sunday to meet the rest of the gang. I will definately be back at the Blue Hole soon, Peace T.

Well, some of us from Denver will be back in a month or two. I KNOW Kent will be wanting to get some time in UW at some point, and with the weather we have been having, the lakes in CO which are none to great to begin with have become even less gooder!

Unfortunately we ALL drive gas sucking trucks with wives whom HATE to drive trucks, so taking a car has been out of the question, and gas has become the biggest expense of the trip!

If we can split the gas and hotel expenses three ways that would help (HINT, HINT, Dan and Kent!). We never seem to be able to swing getting all of us down there on any given weekend! Camping is also an option as based on what we could see at night, the SantaRosa Res looked like a great spot! However that can lend to other problems, as Tom can attest when rain makes breaking camp a wet and less than desirable process! :11doh:

Back
Top Bottom