Sebastion Inlet : Any Shore diving.... or do you need a boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The state park site makes it sound like there is shore diving at Sebastin Inlet. Or do you need a boat?

Are there any shore dives in the area?

Thank you,

The state park site makes it sound like there is shore diving at Sebastin Inlet. Or do you need a boat?

Are there any shore dives in the area?

Thank you,

We checked the area out a couple of years ago on the way home from shore diving Lauderdale by the Sea, driving up the coastal road, A1A from Vero Beach. Turns out that there are quite a number of "pull-offs" along that drive where you can park for free to gain beach access. We stopped in at a dive shop and Vero to get some skinny. What I recall is that shore diving along that area seems to pretty much about capturing lobster or spear fishing. Also recall that the water temp tends to be considerable cooler in the non-summer months than the (barely tolerable) temps down at the Blue Heron Bridge or LBTS in the winter months. Visibility seemed to be another major issue. I may be wrong, but ten of fifteen feet of viz in that area seemed to be reason for excitement. :D

We also pulled into the Sebastion Inlet "park" and picked the guy's brain in the guard shack. Asked him if he'd ever seen anyone snorkeling or diving from anyplace in the parking area and seemed to have no recall of ever having witnessed that.

Based on the info gained from that sojourn, we never ended up trying any dives in the area - especially since the BHB is just so derned cool - which is also why I seldom dive LBTS, anymore.

Kevin
Savannah

SBI is not really a option for shore dives as the inlet creates bad vis but if you go south a few miles to vero beach its a good beach dive but you need to check the vis report before hand. I prefer Pepper park which is about 5 miles south of vero beach but again vis can be hit or miss. Check out Danielle's Dives - About Danielle's Dives for adive of each place you will get a idea of the things you will see.[vids in the blog section].
The best shore dive in florida IMHO is Fort lauderdale by the sea just south of the pier on Datura ave.

You can dive under the bridge at slack tide (1/2 between high & low). It's only about a 20 to 40 min window.

And nobody has chimed in about the cabin wreck yet? Amazing. Nobody can stop you from diving the cabin wreck site(right behind the museum), however i would advise against getting caught taking anything from within the water there.

I can't advise you to watch out for bull sharks in the inlet since normally they aren't visible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom