Seawing Nova life expectancy only two years??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich-D-Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I sent a message on the Scubapro website but did not get a reply. So perhaps someone from Scubapro will see my question here?

My absolute favorite fins in the world broke this past weekend on me. I've owned my white Seawing Nova's for almost exactly two years now and logged just over 100 dives during that time with them. By far the most comfortable and versatile fin I've ever owned. I'm also one of the most anal divers I know in regard to taking care of my equipment, rinsing after a dive, and storing out of sunlight. So how surprised was I this past Saturday when I giant strided off of a dive boat approx 15 feet high and both fins cracked on the flex joint to some degree. Photos attached.

My question is now, is 2 years an acceptable lifespan for these fins? The website says the material is "Durable Monprene® construction making SeaWing virtually indestructible." So will Scubapro replace my broken fins? Perhaps the white material isn't as durable? Just trying to figure out my options before shelling out $ for a new pair of Nova's. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Rich Forster
Arcadia, CA 91006
(818)482-1220 IMAG0500.jpgIMAG0499.jpg

I sent a message on the Scubapro website but did not get a reply. So perhaps someone from Scubapro will see my question here?

My absolute favorite fins in the world broke this past weekend on me. I've owned my white Seawing Nova's for almost exactly two years now and logged just over 100 dives during that time with them. By far the most comfortable and versatile fin I've ever owned. I'm also one of the most anal divers I know in regard to taking care of my equipment, rinsing after a dive, and storing out of sunlight. So how surprised was I this past Saturday when I giant strided off of a dive boat approx 15 feet high and both fins cracked on the flex joint to some degree. Photos attached.

My question is now, is 2 years an acceptable lifespan for these fins? The website says the material is "Durable Monprene® construction making SeaWing virtually indestructible." So will Scubapro replace my broken fins? Perhaps the white material isn't as durable? Just trying to figure out my options before shelling out $ for a new pair of Nova's. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Rich Forster
Arcadia, CA 91006
(818)482-1220View attachment 134644View attachment 134645

There is a lot of chatter about this on the boards. That is a warranty issue take them back to a scuba pro shop and they will either hand you a new pair or send them in and have a new pair shipped back to you.

No fear. I have about 200 dives on my pair in black and I have no issues. I think sometimes you get a bad one.

That also appears to be the first-generation hinge design. After reports of fin breakage, (typically during giant strides), Scubapro redesigned the hinge to be tougher. The new hinge is reportedly a lot stronger. It sure looks stronger.

Both my black and white old design Novas broke but both were cheerfully replaced at no charge.

The replacement fins have been excellent with no issues and my white ones have about 350 dives on them so far.

Just take yours, if you purchased them, to a SP dealer and make the exchange.

Please take your broken SWN pair into the authorized Dealership where you purchases and the warranty exchange can be done for you.

I had a pair fail and it did not take long either. But I tend to put stress on the fins. I don't support myself with them, but I can kick pretty hard. Scubapro replaced them with the gorilla version which I like better. I looked at the support system in the Gorilla fins and I think these will last.

Mine just started to crack. I took them back and they were replaced with the new version without question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom