Seavision Mask. Clear or Colored?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just about decided on buying a prescription Seavision Ultra mask. Only thing I am undecided on is the lens color. Leaning toward clear lenses but open to suggestions as to why either the magenta or yellow lenses might be better.

Diving is a mix of Texas mudholes,caribbean and caves.

My Seavision lens is clear.

Mine is magenta colored lenses and from what I could see, I could see the underwater world in its full color richness.

I have the yellow lens Seavision Ultra. I dive mostly Lakes and the Saint Lawrence river. Where ship wrecks are abundant and the waters are greenish or blackish or no vis-ish..:D

Yellow lens make for good contrasts in low vis water. Alitle brighter. But when I dive the salty clear blue water...kind freakish. But If I were to get another Seavison. I would go for clear. Since you have a variety of water, clarity would be my choice. And if your colour blind, magenta lens to enhance colour is well usless.

I do have a spare CLEAR mask in my pocket. So when I do dive clearner water i do not have to enhance my vision. I use the clear lens mask.

Do a test. Get some yellow lenses and clear lenses. Take a walk in low light..switch and see what works for you.

I have an Ultra with yellow & one with magenta. From limited experience, the magenta is NOT a good choice for limited vis conditions, I could see a lot better with the yellow.

I have not dove them both under good viz conditions for a comparison.

I prefer clear. If you think you might want color or low vis correction some of the time get the style that fits their clip on lenses. Then you can add them later on if need be. They are a little bulky but I think they're a better alternative to 3 different RX Masks...

ianr33,

I have one of each. I, like you, dive a "mudhole". The clear mask is clearly (pardon the double entendre) the winner there. But when I hit the Gulf of Mexico and do the 60' and shallower dives, I really like the way my magenta lens puts the reds back into the colors at depth.

But, if you are constrained to one mask, get the clear. It's always good to see better.

Or, if your budget allows, get the clear lens with the set of color filters.

By the way, the SeaVision masks are great. The fit is superb!

the K

My guess considering you dive variable environments would be the clear. I got the magenta somewhat forcibly, I was sick of leaks and that’s the one that fit the best and didn’t want to wait and order. But here in the tropics on day dives I’ve fallen in love with rich beauty the lens enhances. Use it for night but think a clear might be better, not enough to remember to bring out the leakers though.

I have two Ultras, both clear (one with, one without the purge).

I do cold, warm, high/low viz, night, and whatever else is available... There's no one mask for them all, but IMHO clear comes closest to an "all-around" -- and if you're doing prescription ($$), and a mix of diving, as you mentioned, do you want to spend that much on a mask that excels in just one dive environment?

Btw, the SeaVision is the ONLY mask that doesn't leak through my stache, and John, at SV, has come through for me with last minute over-nighting that saved a dive trip for me. The fit and the customer service are both stellar...

I have both a clear atomic mask and a pink lens Seavision. I like the Seavision ok but my Atomic gives me a bigger window to see through. So it is a toss up. I will switch back and forth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom