Seat for gearing up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far I'm liking the one from lowes. The one from Amazon looks to big to fit the car with everything else, the one right above is a little pricey.

So far I'm liking the one from lowes. The one from Amazon looks to big to fit the car with everything else, the one right above is a little pricey.
The Amazon one I linked to fit in the car I use, Prius, and is flat, to set up you post the little clips and it pops open, lock the center piece by pushing it up. To close it you pull the center handle while pushing a button on top then reach through get handles and pull it back together and everything folds up and locks. It took me 100 x longer to write the description than it does to do it, it’s an amazing design.

The Amazon one I linked to fit in the car I use, Prius, and is flat, to set up you post the little clips and it pops open, lock the center piece by pushing it up. To close it you pull the center handle while pushing a button on top then reach through get handles and pull it back together and everything folds up and locks. It took me 100 x longer to write the description than it does to do it, it’s an amazing design.

Whats the folded up dimensions?

Good idea. I was lax enough with hammering the damn things off for a good rinse when they were only 45 lbs and all sides were easily hammer-able. Not too sure I want to go through the trouble once they weigh 90+. I will take the boots back though, might as well give this a shot, if it's not much worse than de-saltifying single tanks, then maybe I will keep the boots after all.

@elgoog OK, thanks, good to know that it's a non-issue for others. My last dive was at Lobos on Xmas Day by the way. 26 frickin' day SI with no plans to dive soon, damn Mavericks season. The surfers are having a blast though.

you have a tailgate, slide the boots off the end, hit with deadblow hammer or lead weight. They come off.

Either way, standing them up in the tailgate and getting into them without boots is not an issue and how most of us do it

Vehicle mods for diving are fun. My Subaru has a tank holder, gear shelf, and a little seat in the rear so I can sit down to gear up. I see lots of other ideas here. The more you know of, the better you can figure out what will suit you best.

Having a tough little folding table is a good idea, I think I will steal it for my setup.

Do you have any pictures of your setup? I've been wanting to build something like this for my Forester and am just in the contemplative stage. I haven't drawn up any plans yet.

Here's what I built. Folding aluminum bench, some large diameter water pipe bolted down. I've since added rails made of flat stock to the sides to drop fins into and hang other items.

IMG_2764.jpg
IMG-3337.jpg

I use the tailgate of a pickup. Every time I use it, I can’t believe I didn’t buy a pickup sooner. Before I used an suv.

But sometime I can’t use the tailgate for remote shore diving sites, etc.

If you don’t want to buy a new vehicle or need something remote from your vehicle, you can use either of two small lifetime folding tables. It comes in two versions. One is about 16 inches high and the other is 30 inches. They can also serve double duty as regular tables.

They are quite sturdy for their size and light weight. The table surface is about 1.5 x 2 feet. This easily big enough for me to sit down and position a set of doubles. However, I do not leave anything like a set of doubles standing on them by themselves.

The lower one is for actually sitting down and taking off your gear. But you have to stand up from a sitting position with your gear on. The higher one is useful if you want a regular height table and don’t want to actually sit down to put on or off the gear.

The lower one is particularly useful as it is the same height sitting on the sidewalk as the bed of the truck, I used to have some furniture wheels on the bottom, so I could take doubles from the truck to the compressor without lifting them up at all. Since then, I now use a projector cart which Is sturdier and has built in wheels.

So now, I mostly take the lower table on trips. I carry it by hand to the local diveshops compressor room with the doubles on my back and set it up. I then sit down on the table and take them off. I can leave them on the table or put them on the floor easily since the table is so low. I can also move them from the floor to the table by pivoting them on the edge of the table. I will attempt to avoid doing a dead lift of 100 lbs anytime I can.

Time for another video.

A5B29280-0637-4519-B040-1745A9D7FED5.jpeg

E358F0D3-EAFF-47A5-A5D5-ACBE1731F979.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C575C50-BE14-4381-99C1-FE8137FAC55B.jpeg
    8C575C50-BE14-4381-99C1-FE8137FAC55B.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 54
I use the tailgate of a pickup. Every time I use it, I can’t believe I didn’t buy a pickup sooner. Before I used an suv.

But sometime I can’t use the tailgate for remote shore diving sites, etc.

If you don’t want to buy a new vehicle or need something remote from your vehicle, you can use either of two small lifetime folding tables. It comes in two versions. One is about 16 inches high and the other is 30 inches. They can also serve double duty as regular tables.

They are quite sturdy for their size and light weight. The table surface is about 1.5 x 2 feet. This easily big enough for me to sit down and position a set of doubles. However, I do not leave anything like a set of doubles standing on them by themselves.

The lower one is for actually sitting down and taking off your gear. But you have to stand up from a sitting position with your gear on. The higher one is useful if you want a regular height table and don’t want to actually sit down to put on or off the gear.

The lower one is particularly useful as it is the same height sitting on the sidewalk as the bed of the truck, I used to have some furniture wheels on the bottom, so I could take doubles from the truck to the compressor without lifting them up at all. Since then, I now use a projector cart which Is sturdier and has built in wheels.

So now, I mostly take the lower table on trips. I carry it by hand to the local diveshops compressor room with the doubles on my back and set it up. I then sit down on the table and take them off. I can leave them on the table or put them on the floor easily since the table is so low. I can also move them from the floor to the table by pivoting them on the edge of the table. I will attempt to avoid doing a dead lift of 100 lbs anytime I can.

Time for another video.

View attachment 637966

View attachment 637967

Eagerly awaiting a video

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom