Seasoned Spiegel Grove divers please chime in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ft.lauderdale diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading down to do a doubledip on the Spiegel this weekend. Given it's size, all the passage ways, depth differences from top to the sand what's your recommendation to exploring the best part of the wreck? I'm hoping to hold on to a buddy's dpv so we can cover some more ground....

Your experiences and recommendations are appreciated!

Charge the batteries to the max. Zip around stern to bow and back again. You may be able to do the whole boat on one dive. You might not even need the second dive! Whatever you do, don't take time to enjoy the dive or leisurely explore in depth.

Oh yeah, almost forget, 46 on the SG. And it still holds some surprises.

Don't know who you will be diving with, but typical "double" dips mean that once everyone is up from the first dive the boat will relocate to a different mooring ball so you can spend time at a different part of the wreck.

The only variation to this is if there are single tank divers and tech divers. Singles will drop in first, then the techies will drop doing a long run. Singles will surface, do a 1 hr surface interval the drop back down the same line. During their second dive, the technies will finish their deco obligations and surface to the boat to wait for the singles folks to surface.

You can do an edive simulated dive to get familiar with the structure before you go: Virtual Diving - Explore your Ocean

A
lso there are some wreck cards mapping the wreck, most dive boats have them on board, but also can be purchased for at $12 at most SoFL dive shops. Great for getting familiar with the layout.

I've dove the Speigle about a dozen times. My experience is that you will get about 25-30 minutes of bottom time on an AL80 unless you are super easy on air. On most of my dives there was a decidedly strong current till you got down about 50 feet, then it settled down. I have also found that even with a one hour SI you'll need some extra safety stop time on the second dive. I've dove this ship with Horizon at Key Largo, Conch Republic, and Florida Keys Divers at Tavernier. This dive can be a fun dive and a dangerous dive. Several people have died in this wreck over the last few years by going inside without the correct preperation. One group of supposedly experienced ship divers from NJ were wiped out about three years ago when they didn't come out. It is one of my favorite dives along with the Duane and Bibb. On down the road, at Islamorada, Keys Dives goes out on the Eagle quite often. This is a nice dive also, about 125 feet to the sand. Might want to try that one while you are nearby.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom