Seaskin boot recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twistypencil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I ordered the Seaskin Nova, and its coming soon! I got the compressed neoprene socks and am wondering about boots. I often am shore diving and was thinking I probably need to get some rock boots to go over the socks. Can anyone give some recommendations? Its cold water here (between 40-55)!

I've heard I can wear converse shoes for these, are those your standard converse high tops? That would be great, because I have a pair of them already!

Altama's are quite popular. My wife and I use them for our Novas. We went up 2 sizes from our regular street shoe size, and chose the wide option. I liked them so much, I bought a smaller pair and some thin neoprene socks to wear while diving wet.
*edit I'm referring to the Altama Maritime Assault. We happen to use the mid height...

Use what fits your feet and fins. I’ve used converse low top but you have to be careful not to pull them off while taking fins off, hi top would be better. I have some Altima and they are very good but a little floaty, my main use are some Hollis tech boots (same as pinnacle tech) that work great once I ground down the sole to fit my fins.

Hmm, my existing ScubaPro Go fins and my OMS Slipstream fins (XL) do not fit on my feet when I'm wearing converse... My Converse are size 12 (45-46). The Slipstream would fit in the pocket, but the spring is way too tight and pulls my foot into the fin and requires some intense stretching to get it on (hard to do on dry land, would be really hard in the water). Can I replace those springs with something bigger?

Are there better fins that I should be looking for that will fit better, and have good buoyancy characteristics, considering feet up dry suit risks?

Getting new drysuit fins was always part of the equation for us. We knew we'd need considerably larger fins when going dry. Went with Jetfins due to them being quite negative, and popular with other divers here.

It looks like I can replace my OMS Slipstream fin springs with an XXL spring, which might do the trick for me: OMS Spring Heels w/Loop for Slipstream Fins (Pair)
I wear size 15, few things work out of the box, I usually switch to bungee and the bast few years all fin makers seem to be including ridiculously short springs, I usually just toss them if I can’t give them away, even some bungee are crash short like on the supernova fins, I replace those with longer bungee. There are a lot of options and only you and your feet can decide what works for you.

I'm thinking now that the Hollis F1 Bat fins may be in my future, but I cannot figure out what size would work for my size 12 US converse...

'Go to school on @happy-diver, and use SS Quick-links, to lengthen your spring straps:
1719185243543.png

Photo by @happy-diver

+1 on dedicated wet fins and dry fins. I use regular/large Quattro + wet and XL for dry. I also went with a different color to ensure I don't grab the wrong ones when leaving the house.

My rock boots are Hollis. The seem to be sized accurately to fit your feet in a neo sock without having to go up a size or two. I wear a 9W in regular boots and ordered 9 rock boots. They fit perfect for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom