"Sears" J Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Back in the early 80's I bought my first tank, a Luxfer Alum 80. It came with a J Valve marked "Sears". Does anyone know who actually made this valve? I don't dive it anymore, but it sits with the tank (lots of old cool stickers on it) in the corner of my office. I don't have the heart to part with it but I'm thinking of making a coffee table out of it eventually.

Most likely Aqualung, they made some DH regs that were labeled JC Higgens. If the tank and valve are serviceable, don't make a table out of it, either dive it or sell it to those of us who will.

I don't think the tank is divable. My understanding is that old luxfers won't pass inspection anymore.

Not so. It is perfectly legal to inspect fill and dive the early Luxfers. Some shops refuse to fill or inspect them, but that's their own decision, not a matter of law.

The the only difference in how these tanks are handled under law is that the DOT recently added a requirement that they be eddy current tested for neck cracks at hydro time, but then most shops have been insisting on eddy current testing at annual inspection anyhow.

I don't think the tank is divable. My understanding is that old luxfers won't pass inspection anymore.

As Herman said, that is probably a US Divers valve and I believe it is fairly rare. It may have a relatively high value as a collector’s item.

The double hose regulators sold under the Sears and JC Higgens (SP? Sears own sports equipment brand) are considered very valuable due to how rare they are now. I am sure the owner of one of those regulators would love to have a Sears’s valve to display with it.

Last edited:
Duhaa, missed the Luxfer AL-80, the tank is prob OK but I don't mind seeing them trashed. In any case I would happy to trade you a current K valve for the Sears, hate to see old gear bite the dust.

Dive it

The tank markings are: 3AL, CTC/DOT, E6498, LUXFER T6. I just called Luxfer. There have been no recalls on this tank. Reported neck failure has been less than 1%. I'm going to take it by my LDS and see what they say. Of course, each LDS has their own policies. I'm hoping it is still divable.

The tank markings are: 3AL, CTC/DOT, E6498, LUXFER T6. I just called Luxfer. There have been no recalls on this tank. Reported neck failure has been less than 1%..........

Phil Ellis

Some would argue that the reason why there has been less than a 1% neck failure rate is that most LDS wont fill them.

Back
Top Bottom