Unknown Search on for missing wreck diver - Lake Michigan

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABC news in Milwaukee is reporting that the wreck was the Wisconsin. No word as to the dive op.
There’s always the possibility it was a private boat, especially since it was a weekday.

Kenosha and PP are just over the border from IL.
The dashes on the map.

Just heard an update on WGN AM. It is definitely the Wisconsin. They’re searching 3 miles off shore. There were two divers yesterday. One diver was rescued.
Well, that was incorrect. Just saw an article that they saved an unrelated person while searching for the missing diver. Was this other person a boater or another diver? Unknown!

Well, that was incorrect. Just saw an article that they saved an unrelated person while searching for the missing diver. Was this other person a boater or another diver? Unknown!

This excerpt is odd: "A private vessel located the individual and stayed with them until law enforcement arrived, the release says, and the male was then rescued from the water without further incident." The first boat to him stayed with him but did not pull him out of the water? How cold is the water?

Wow, that’s unexpected. Glad that one is ok.
I haven’t dived the Wisconsin in a long time, but it was always a good dive. Sad that this happened.

Ah, on closer reading, the article said a vessel was underwater, with a person in the water. So his boat seems to have sunk. Doesn’t explain why the other boat couldn’t take him on board. He was lucky they were already out to search for the missing diver.

This excerpt is odd: "A private vessel located the individual and stayed with them until law enforcement arrived, the release says, and the male was then rescued from the water without further incident." The first boat to him stayed with him but did not pull him out of the water? How cold is the water?
Water temp depends on the winds and if the lake has “turned over” (colder water from depth making it to the surface), but I’d expect it to be high 60s/low 70s at the surface, just as a rough guess.

I will say there have been a LOT of drownings on Lake Michigan this summer. Mostly seems to be people who got caught in rough conditions while swimming, but I heard of at least a few people who fell off boats in the Playpen off Chicago - which means drunk people partying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom