Search in progress for Missing Mono County Ice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My heart felt sorrow to the victims family and his dive team. I'm one of the few who can say I know exactly what they are going through right now.

None of you have the facts correct on the Rockport accident. For those of you interested in the facts, read the full report on TDS or Ontario Diving where has been discussed thouroughly with my full involvement. The reason it was removed from Scubaboard is Neil (Deepbound) cannot temper his ability to troll and misrepresent his own opinion as fact. In addition, he has some kind of grudge to settle with GUE divers here in Ontario. He actually PM'd the owner of the local GUE facility, a very good friend of mine, and accused him of murdering the victim in the Rockport accident. This is the reason we finally banned him permanently from Ontario Diving after several warnings and time-outs.

I have no problem with discussing the accident, but only if it is done so in a respectful manner that does not turn into a political free for all. I firmly believe there are lessons to be learned from these unfortunate events. Unfortunately, I don't think the thread will run this way on Scubaboard, especially if Neil isn't kept in check.

The family and dive team have my sympathy. This was a most unfortunate accident.

Kevin R:
The reason I had it removed from Scubaboard is Neil (Deepbound) cannot temper his ability to troll and misrepresent his own opinion as fact. In addition, he has some kind of grudge to settle with GUE divers here in Ontario. He actually PM'd the owner of the local GUE facility, a very good friend of mine, and accused him of murdering the victim in the Rockport accident. This is the reason we finally banned him permanently from Ontario Diving after several warnings and time-outs.
I warned you guys on OD two weeks before your dive what could happen doing your crazy ice dives without tethers. Every time I brought it up I was either warned or had my posts removed, or was verbally abused. That's why you banned me, Kevin. You love to call other divers unsafe, and can't take it when other people try to make diving safer.

Just make it clear Kevin: Do you think it's reasonable to dive under ice without a tether, or not?

Is that why I posted full reports on 3 boards and participated in the discussions answering as many questions as I could? I banned you because you couldn't follow the TOS of the board. I wanted to remove you 2 months earlier.

But thats not what this thread is for.

Please try to leave the agency bashing and politics out of the analysis, it serves no purpose and clouds fact and judgement.

Speaking of what this thread is for...I know the diver who was lost in the Mono Lake incident (which is, I believe, what this thread is about). He owned a dive shop here in my home town. In fact, I just had my dive equipment serviced by him. I groused a bit at the time because his charges for servicing were a little higher than some other shops around here, but it was good-natured grousing because there is not another person who does this anywhere nearby whom I would have felt as confident about trusting my life-support equipment to. Meticulous was an understatement. Which is one reason why this tragedy is all the more baffling.

My heart breaks for his wife and his two tiny daughters, whom I met at his dive shop recently.

A three week old child? That just makes this all that much more tragic.

If the newspaper account is correct, it just goes to show you that bad things can happen even to experienced people if they decide to change procedures. And it makes me feel even better about having a bright orange wing. This all black underwater stuff is really a bad idea, in my opinion.

TSandM:
A three week old child? That just makes this all that much more tragic.

If the newspaper account is correct, it just goes to show you that bad things can happen even to experienced people if they decide to change procedures. And it makes me feel even better about having a bright orange wing. This all black underwater stuff is really a bad idea, in my opinion.
This is the reason I buy whatever I can in Yellow..I'm New and need to be seen..... Im sorry for the lost love one my prayer go out to the family. Mark

Man this story sucks, my heart goes out to the man's family.

We just finished Ice diving last weekend here in Alberta. We always have a safety diver in the water or on the surface ready to go. All divers including the safety diver are tethered and the lines are anchored to the ice in two places by ice screws.

Accidents only seem to happen when someone changes the procedure or rules.

We all have dark dry suits but this weekend I wore bright orange gloves , wow what a diffrence everyone could see my hands, and see where I was. This helped when the silt got stirred up and my partner lost sight of me , he got freaked out by the low vis and started to pull on the rope to get to me .Once he saw the bright orange gloves he calmed down.

Now everyone has orange gloves.

All forms of diving are safe as long as we follow the rules.

Once again my heart goes out to his family

DeepBound:
I warned you guys on OD two weeks before your dive what could happen doing your crazy ice dives without tethers. Every time I brought it up I was either warned or had my posts removed, or was verbally abused.

Stick you butt in a vat of water cause your pants are on fire Deepbound, you were the abuser, and I am sure Micheal will attest to that. You forgot to tell the part where you were doing solo dives in near freezing water where you were told.

My heart goes out to the diver's friends and family as I know that this is a tough situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom