Search and Rescue Volunteer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtsidford

Reaction score
Will the police, fire, coast guard, or other search and rescue teams out there accept help from volunteer divers?

I was watching the news last night and saw a team of divers searching for two childrens bodies in a body of water. They called off the search at night and were going to pick it back up at 8 am. Search area accessable from shore.

Would I be able to show up with gear and help. I would dive at night to continure the search if it would help them and they would let me. I am wondering if they would let me due to a crime scene area or other liabilities that may exist? Do you need rescue certifications or other certs to cross the ropes? If they accept help do the police/fire/... take a contact #'s from you in case they could use an extra hand in the future?

Sid

Sid,

An awful lot of the Search and Recovery Teams across the US are volunteer teams. They will accept help, but not until you have gone to them, shown them your certs, your dive experience, and learned their procedures. Most will require more training than just a PADI or equivalent Search and Recovery or Rescue certificate.

About 99.5% of all recovery diving is done in zero or near-zero visibility. It is not for the faint of heart, nor is it recreational territory.

mtsidford:
Will the police, fire, coast guard, or other search and rescue teams out there accept help from volunteer divers?

I was watching the news last night and saw a team of divers searching for two childrens bodies in a body of water. They called off the search at night and were going to pick it back up at 8 am. Search area accessable from shore.

Would I be able to show up with gear and help. I would dive at night to continure the search if it would help them and they would let me. I am wondering if they would let me due to a crime scene area or other liabilities that may exist? Do you need rescue certifications or other certs to cross the ropes? If they accept help do the police/fire/... take a contact #'s from you in case they could use an extra hand in the future?

Sid

Sid,

The team I am apart of is all vollunteer, we are required to provid all gear and OW cert, DR-1 cert is also a req for doing most dives. We would love to have more divers to help out! one thing you want to think about though, do you REALLY want to be on a recovery? Its no fun and what you are describing (child recovery) is probably the hardest thing that a PSD will ever do.
read this...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=70629

Now are you sure you wanna do this? If so Great we can use the help out here, if not no big deal, its nor for everybody.

There is another post that I cant seem to find about a specific recovery of a child by Gary D. that still haunts him to this day If I could find it I'd post that link too!

I have been on our team 3 year and hove only been on recoveries with adults involved, its hard enough to sleep at nght when you are seeing their face, let alone a child.

Greg D,
Thank you for your reply and research of Gary's post. It was enlightening. I do believe, although VERY, VERY difficult to cope with; the cause and reason to help outweighs any outside appreciation and nightmares that may come to fruition. I feel I can handle the reality of things and hope to help those seeking closure. Gary if you are reading this that was a terrific post, so thank you for sharing. Sid

mtsidford:
Greg D,
Thank you for your reply and research of Gary's post. It was enlightening. I do believe, although VERY, VERY difficult to cope with; the cause and reason to help outweighs any outside appreciation and nightmares that may come to fruition. I feel I can handle the reality of things and hope to help those seeking closure. Gary if you are reading this that was a terrific post, so thank you for sharing. Sid

Looks like you are all set then! now make a few phone calls to the local PD and SO to see if you can get on the dive team!

Around here there are not many teams that do such a thing. In this area we are mainly focusing on tech rescue, not so much on recovery. I think that there may be one fire department in the county that does underwater work. They are an all volunteer department, but I think you would probably have to be a member of the department to get on the team.
Personally, I had thought about it until I read the very well written post by Greg. I am a professional level firefighter and an EMT, but i donno that I could do that.

Being in MA, you may find it difficult to join in a search. As far as I know, MA State Police conduct most of the search & recoveries throughout the state. Boston Police & Fire Departments each have their own respective teams where they cover incidents in their area. You may have to be a member of a police or fire department dive team in order to enroll in one of the public safety diving courses. As other members have already mentioned, public safety diving training is much different from recreational training. I think it is funny when a public safety dive team says "We just got certified for rescue diver, so now we are online." A recreational rescue diver course is a beginning to a foundation, but certainly does not prepare divers for search and recovery.

I've just been accepted to our Dive Team (Charlotte County Sheriff's Office). I am a civilian who works for the SO, not a certified officer. Initally that was a problem with my application, they wanted officers only until it was pointed out that civilians also do crime scene investigation. Anyway long story short, I'm now a probationary PSD.

My job on the team at this point is S2O. As in Sit Down, Shut Up, and Observe. While I am a member of the team and get to train as a member of the team, I am not, at this point, qualified to get into the water for an acutal recovery. Initally, I will be doing shore work (line handling, communication, etc). There's a lot to learn, and mistakes can make things very much worse.

Then, lets figure in the liability of having someone who is not a member of the searching organization included without training, knowledge of procedures, etc. When they quit searching before the search is complete, there's a good reason.

I think if you showed up to one of our recovery efforts, I believe you would be politely and firmly discouraged from entering the water (and the SWAT team sniper is usually called out with us as well due to frequent contact with gators).

ReefGuy:
I've just been accepted to our Dive Team (Charlotte County Sheriff's Office). I am a civilian who works for the SO, not a certified officer. Initally that was a problem with my application, they wanted officers only until it was pointed out that civilians also do crime scene investigation. Anyway long story short, I'm now a probationary PSD.

My job on the team at this point is S2O. As in Sit Down, Shut Up, and Observe. While I am a member of the team and get to train as a member of the team, I am not, at this point, qualified to get into the water for an acutal recovery. Initally, I will be doing shore work (line handling, communication, etc). There's a lot to learn, and mistakes can make things very much worse.

Then, lets figure in the liability of having someone who is not a member of the searching organization included without training, knowledge of procedures, etc. When they quit searching before the search is complete, there's a good reason.

I think if you showed up to one of our recovery efforts, I believe you would be politely and firmly discouraged from entering the water (and the SWAT team sniper is usually called out with us as well due to frequent contact with gators).
Boy do I like your teams attitude.

I have one little thing I add for the FNG's, It's do as I say NOT as I do. I only have to tell them once. Our FNG's go through the same thing. One step at a time. When we feel they're ready they get involved but not before then.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom