Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron Donaldson Search & Rescue Update**** We need 5 volunteers to go to Cancun Airport FBO at 12:30M tomorrow and fly in a search plane. Please contact Henry Christopher Schultz or let me know and I will get your information and pass it along.

We have lots of boats going out tomorrow too!

Thank you for your continued support and prayers!! Please share!

A misplaced diver at one of the more "normal" dive sites south of town would be close to shore and drifting more or less parallel to it in an area where there is lots of boat traffic. If it were I, I would be more worried about getting run over than not being found. This was at a northern site near where the "horn" of Cozumel directs the current away from the island and where there is very little boat traffic compared to what is around the southern half of the island.

With the “horn” being such risky dive site (potentially could be blown away by stiff current into the blue water), why would a local expert diver want to dive it (w/o PLB)? Is it where sharks like to hang around? How deep is it?

Cameron is a very smart, experienced, and resourceful diver. I have no doubt that his ability to survive a lost at sea ordeal is far above average. It is way too early to start considering the worst.
Why do we believe he’s afloat? While I hope that’s the case, the alternative is dire.

The wind direction seems to be almost the opposite of the water current direction.

That happens a lot. The current direction out in the channel is pretty constant, as it is a part of the Gulf Stream.

Is Maya air an option? Just a thought.

Jay

We called. They don't have resources to lend us but will keep an eye out in normal flight patterns.

As a Canadian citizen is the Canadian government/embassy aware and any calls they could make?

Yes, we notified the Canadian Embassy first thing and requested assistance. Wasn't much they could do for us other than make a few phone calls.

It is heartening to see so many different people work together on the situation.

Is there anyone coordinating the aerial search? If the current is 2-3 kts or more, the drift could have been hundreds of miles by now and moving toward the central GOM.

Henry is Sloeber and his email is available if you message me.

Contact info in my signature below.

Has anyone contacted DAN (1-919-684-9111)? They might be helpful with contacts or resources.

Yes. They were of zero assistance for search purposes. They are ready to help when we find him and he needs medical attention.

I knew that the land got further away on the way to the Barracuda dive site so I just looked at Google Earth and that happens just past the Melia hotel.

What do the ocean currents do at that point? Is it possible that someone on the surface swimming to shore could end up to the northeast of Melia?

I assume that there have been boats scouring near the coastline.

It is venturi effect. Lots of water comes in at the south and gets squeezed tight up north and spit out at a rapid rate.

At 4-6 knots of current it'd be very difficult to make shore. Even with a scooter. And once you get there, it is crocodile infested waters. At night... no thanks I'll stay floating at sea thank you very much.

With the “horn” being such risky dive site (potentially could be blown away by stiff current into the blue water), why would a local expert diver want to dive it (w/o PLB)? Is it where sharks like to hang around? How deep is it?

Schooling eagle rays at this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom