Seaquest / Suunto Console Attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

omaha diver

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I use the standard Suunto / Seaquest 3 gauge console. Like all good divers, we try to keep them attached to us during dives for streamlining and to protect the underwater environment. We have tried a few different attachment methods for clipping them to our bcs and have not been happy with any of them. Anybody have a good setup for attachment of this type of console? They don't really have a good anchor point on the console...only a couple of small eyelets on the back of the unit.
We are after a simple setup that you could easily attach and remove with gloves on. We have not tried retractors yet.

I have the same console as you I believe. What I did was get a retractor and clipped it to the D-Ring on the right front shoulder of my BC. It works alright for me I guess. One thing I don't like though is that the retractor is a little bulky. It seemed like the best option I could come up with though for when I'm wearing heavy coldwater gloves. I too would be curious to hear what others do.

I have a sherwood 2+1 console (computer & compass on one side, SPG on the other) and currently I just clip it with a bolt snap to the d-ring on my right shoulder strap such that I can still see the SPG wth out unclipping when I tuck my chin and look down.

I too am thinking of a retractor, but am considering a little different approach than most. My plan is to secure the body of the retractor behind the webbing and feed the string through a small hole, then attach it with a small clip to the console. This way the body of the console does not add to the dangly.

The other idea I have is to use magnets similar to the new magnet lanyards for cameras. Attach one or two to my shoulder harness in a strategic place, then their mates on the console. The magnets are pretty strong and should hold in place while swimming (though they might get disengaged when doing a giant stride entry).

Originally posted by TexasMike
I too am thinking of a retractor, but am considering a little different approach than most. My plan is to secure the body of the retractor behind the webbing and feed the string through a small hole, then attach it with a small clip to the console. This way the body of the console does not add to the dangly.
Neat...maybe I'll have to try something like that. The danglyness (if that's a word) is my main gripe with my retractor because on one end of it, it has 2 or 3 inches of nylon webbing and then a 3 inch clip on the end of that so we're talkin' 5 or 6 inches not counting the retractor itself. When it's clipped on my upper D-ring it's almost as low as waist level already which kinda defeats the purpose of the retractor.

Your idea might work, Mike, if you can find a retractor that's strong enough. I've tried several, including the high priced locking Gripper, and they all feed out line unless you lock them. And to me having to lock/unlock it negates it's purpose. Meaning it's just as easy to unsnap a $2 bolt snap. I've also tried just about every other laynard and console holder out there. I've found the bolt snap snapped to the right shoulder D-ring to be the best for me, also the cheapest.

But while we're on the topic, here's a tip for small hand held lights. Buy one of the wrist wraps and put a small D-ring on it. Then put a bolt snap on your light and use the wrist wrap's D-ring to attach it too. I like it 100 times better than a laynard'ed light and it's right there when you need it. It also works well for my Auto35 camera.

GP... Exactly. I should say that if going through the harness webbing doesn't work, then I would check out going through the material of the BC (mine is a Zeagle Ranger)

WH... The Cetacea high force appears long enough. At worst, I might take it apart and see if I can add a longer string to it.

But I also agree that my current bolt snap zip-tied to the console is a very good "low-tech" solution.

When you say "3 gauge console" - I take it you mean pressure gauge, depth gauge and compass? The Suunto SK-7 compass has a grey plastic loop on the end of it for attaching a retractor. I use a springloaded one from Gadget Gear (resold by Princeton-Tec) that lets me pull the console out to look at, and when I release it, the retractor does its thing and my console pops back against my chest - always in the same position. The retractor is quite short in overall length (about 3"), yet has enough wire line inside of it to allow my to use the compass with the console held out in front of me.

Have a look in this thread - there is a link to a couple of pictures of a Suunto console, you can just make out the loop on the compass in the top photo. If you have a different model compass though, you might not have this loop. Also check out Suunto's website for more pics.

Originally posted by TexasMike
The other idea I have is to use magnets similar to the new magnet lanyards for cameras. Attach one or two to my shoulder harness in a strategic place, then their mates on the console. The magnets are pretty strong and should hold in place while swimming (though they might get disengaged when doing a giant stride entry).

Just out of idle dumb curiosity here .... my excuse being that I'm bored at work...

"pretty strong magnets" ? on compass ? pray tell what happens to your navigation skills.... :D

Originally posted by bengiddins
When you say "3 gauge console" - I take it you mean pressure gauge, depth gauge and compass? The Suunto SK-7 compass has a grey plastic loop on the end of it for attaching a retractor. I use a springloaded one from Gadget Gear (resold by Princeton-Tec) that lets me pull the console out to look at, and when I release it, the retractor does its thing and my console pops back against my chest - always in the same position. The retractor is quite short in overall length (about 3"), yet has enough wire line inside of it to allow my to use the compass with the console held out in front of me.

Have a look in this thread - there is a link to a couple of pictures of a Suunto console, you can just make out the loop on the compass in the top photo. If you have a different model compass though, you might not have this loop. Also check out Suunto's website for more pics.
Sounds like you have the newer style console. The one I have and I believe the one that omaha diver has only has two little eylets in middle part of the back of the console for attaching a little clip or keyring to. It doesn't have the attachment point up on top of the compass. I wish it did though because that seems much nicer.

I don't use a console (just an SPG at the end of my HP hose w/o any console/boot), but as suggested above I think the bolt-snap set-up might work for you as well.

I have a bolt snap tied to the hose just below the SPG with some cave line (nylon line). My BC has 3 D rings on each side -- shoulder, chest and hip. I clip the SPG to my left chest D ring and can see it nicely without unclipping it. One thing to keep in mind is the size of the bolt snap. If you are using heavier gloves, you want a bigger bolt snap so you can unclip it easily.

On second thought, I guess the problem you will face is that you need to be able to detach the console easily to use the compass.....making a bolt snap sort of a pain....hmmm

I use a wrist-mounted compass just for this reason (I don't like retractors). With the compass freed up, you don't need to clip/unclip the console at all if you have it positioned right, making the bolt snap more practical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom