seaquest pro qd plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yvkr once bubbled...
Anybody knows that bc?
How is it compare to the poseidon powerlift photic?

Yes.

The Seaquest is a good bcd as far as jacket style bcd's go. Perhaps one of the best. That said, I found the shoulder D rings a little too high for my liking and the pockets are inaccessible with a dry-suit on.

I think you'll spend around $600 on that jacket. I hope I don't sound like a DIR wannabe for saying this, but for the same price or cheaper you can pick up a bp/wing, which will be more stable in the water (especially with large steel tanks like a steel 15 litre) and more flexible for the long term.

I don't know how it compares to the Poseidon in terms of comfort but the Photic has dual D rings on the shoulder, which might be a plus and it has dual cam-bands which might limit tank-wobble more than the QD+ with a big tank. On the surface it also looks as though the Phobic would have better pocket access than the Seaquest. At least i would pay attention to that.

Hope that helps.

R..

I believe I could ask about a milk jug and someone would holler "backplate and wings!" Maybe I should holler "Transpac!"
-----
The Seaqest Pro QD+ is an excellent jacket. It has *lots* of lift and excellent balance both under water and on the surface. Even an old rotund guy like me can reach the pockets in a drysuit or a 7 mil wetsuit - although the pockets on *all* jacket BC's are higher than I'd like 'em to be. I like to use the Pro QD when I'm dealing with students in rough water because it has such great buoyancy characteristics on the surface, where most students are likely to have problems when they're in their first rough water experience. The hardware is sturdy enough to handle a pony or stage without modification - again, an excellent jacket.
For recreational diving the Pro QD or QD+ are great.
As with any BC, I recommend you get in the pool with it and try it with all your different anti-exposure suits to make sure it is comfortable and functional and works the way you want it to work before you buy it.
I've never used the Poseidon so can't give you a comparison.
Rick

thanks for the replies so far. would like to hear more.
b yth eway the prices I can get for both the bcd's are not in the sky:
seaquest pro qd + : 325$ (including shipping)
powerlift photic: 327$

the most important aspects for me is the comfort and balance. considering both of them to be high quality bc's what is the better choice?

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
I believe I could ask about a milk jug and someone would holler "backplate and wings!" Maybe I should holler "Transpac!"

I've gotta back up Diver0001 on this one. A newbie poster asking about a couple of jacket BC's makes me think of someone who went to his LDS and that's what they had for sale in his price range... and is thus probably unaware of what a bp/wing or Transpac is.

My first instinct was to reply: "I hear the Pro QD is a fine jacket BC... have you ever considered a backplate with a wing?"

yvkr once bubbled...

the most important aspects for me is the comfort and balance. considering both of them to be high quality bc's what is the better choice?
Buy the one that fits better and keeps the tank stable underwater.

The Pro QDs have been attractively priced as dealers clear out their stock of the velcro pocket model before stocking the model with "sure-lok" pockets.

jonnythan once bubbled...
My first instinct was to reply: "I hear the Pro QD is a fine jacket BC... have you ever considered a backplate with a wing?"
Right - and I've gotta back up Rick on this one.
I'm just sure that next time someone asks about a BP & wing you'll welcome comments like "I hear the Halcyon system is a fine BP & wing... have you ever considered a decent jacket instead?"
Yeah, I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth already.
HHHhhaarrrrr!
E.

Epinephelus once bubbled...

I'm just sure that next time someone asks about a BP & wing you'll welcome comments like "I hear the Halcyon system is a fine BP & wing... have you ever considered a decent jacket instead?"
HHHhhaarrrrr!
E.

At least my idea makes sense. A lot of people don't know about bps and wings, and a newbie with only a couple of posts asking about a pair of jacket BC's is probably one of them.

How many people do you know made the move from a backplate and wing *to* a jacket BC and found it a superior platform?

yvkr once bubbled...

yvker

exactly what I paid for mine about 2 years ago at LP. If you are using for cold water application make sure you get the sure lock system. I have not had problems with my velcro units but I dive strickly tropical and don't use much weight. Love the BC. Very well made.

Epinephelus once bubbled...

HHHhhaarrrrr!
E.

I regret opening this can of worms. Let's stick to his question.

yvkr, if you are making your final choice between the Pro QD and the Poseidon then I would try them both (yes this is possible if you buy via your LDS) and pick the one you prefer. I'm *sure* that the QD is an excellent jacket, I suspect that the other one is too. If you don't have the opportunity to try them both (ie buying online or something) then I'm *sure* you can't go wrong with the Pro QD. On the other one I'm not so sure. I'm a little surprised, btw at the price you can get on the QD. It's a lot more expensive where I live. Tropics Diver might be right, it looks like a good deal price-wise.

R..

Back
Top Bottom