Seams fraying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetSEAL

Contributor
Reaction score
Got a brand new wetsuit (h2odyessey), and after just 3 dives with it I noticed the substantial fraying in the seams around my waist where the stiff webbing of my BP&W rubs. I'm worried that after a few more dives, the seam might split apart and ruin the suit. Is this normal? Should I have to wrap something around the webbing to reduce it's abrasiveness?

Doesn't sound right but I don't know that suit brand, or what your gear might be doing to it.

On the practical side you might ask the suit maker, sometimes seams are simply sewn badly. Give them the chance to step up. If that's no help, you can coat the seams with Aquaseal or a similar flexible urethane product like Goop. It is often used to protect seams from chafe. You can also get some thin patches (neoprene, kevlar, many choices, often sold as "knee" reinforcements) and position them over the wear spots, again with AquaSeal.

Back
Top Bottom