Question seam repair worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racerx_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Found a killer deal on a new old stock bare velocity suit. it would be equivalent of about $100usd. but because it’s been sitting around the rubber trim over the seams is peeling off. Will this make a difference? Can’t tell if it’s purely cosmetic or helping seal the suit

Side note I was looking for a 5/3, this is a 3mil but such a crazy deal I’m wondering if putting an exowear top on under it would be enough

As the seam's stretch they can allow water entry. The trim (aka tape) is to help stop the water entry and gives a small amount of protection for the seam too.

Lots of people have great repair results with Trident's neoprene cement, and it might be available on line in your area.

Neoprene_Glue.jpg

From my own experience(only once) the rubber trim also prevent the neoprene from getting rip/tear at the cuff or the ankle area after couple of yr.

Never seen a Velocity with the seam sealer on it. Regardless, I have an 3mm Elastek (next model up - fully glued seams) and that seam seal is flaking off like crazy. I hate it. I've reverted to wearing my flat stitched Velocity because I'm sure the flakes of seam seal look like fish food in the water.

Back
Top Bottom