Sealing the case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickP330

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,
I just purchased a DX1400 and sea dragon flash. I noticed in the flash instructions they tell you to apply the silicone grease to the O-rings. However the Camera housing it just says to "wet" the O-ring. I'm a little nervous about using this for the first time, Should I remove and clean the housing O-ring like they suggest and just close it up? Wetting it sounds a little strange to me, I'm surprised they don't recommend greasing it.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just close it up and use it? Much thanks in advance.
Rick

---------- Post added May 28th, 2015 at 09:22 AM ----------

Hi Gang,
Okay, let me rephrase the question.
Before I use this camera for the first time, I am going to remove the O-ring as per the instructions and clean it and reinstall it. Is there anything else I should do before I close it? Grease or wet the O-ring? Much thanks in advance.
Rick

Morning Rick,

You are correct that the Sea Dragon flash requires a light coating of silicone grease. The DC1400 housing o-ring does not get lubricated. The housing care instructions are in the manual starting on page 62. Main concern with the housing o-ring is cleanliness and no damage.
Where did you read to “wet” the o-ring?
Please feel free to contact us at techservice@sealife-cameras.com.

Hello Thanks for the response,
I was reading the quick start guide, step 9, it says to "Clean with damp cotton cloth". I guess I interpreted this as wetting the O-ring. Sorry. I have the manual here, I'll take a close look housing care instructions. Thank you!

I'll take the camera with us this weekend, we will try it on our first dive.

RickP

---------- Post added May 29th, 2015 at 10:22 AM ----------

Okay,
When all else fails read the manual I guess. I got the message, do not wet or lubricate the O-ring! I'll try the empty housing test in the tub tonight to test for leaks before we try it this weekend. Thank you!!
RickP

I'll try the empty housing test in the tub tonight to test for leaks before we try it this weekend. Thank you!!
RickP
Always best. :thumb: Put a soft weight and a piece of paper inside, then soak. It's not a depth test, but it is a seal test. I've carried the DC100, DC310, DC500, and DC1200 on a few hundred dives with no leaks. Some replace the camera O-ring after a year or two but I haven't on any. My bud bought a few of my old cameras and did flood the DC310 when he got a hair in the way - and he's mostly bald, but flooding is rare.

Do insure it against loss tho, as that happens a lot - especially to newbies. You don't say how many dives you have so I am guessing. State Farm has a great Personal Articles Policy and you don't need to be a customer yet. Call 'em, or your homeowner agent to list on a rider.

Hi Guys,
Thank you for the advice. I think I get it now. The flash o ring is greased since the cap is sliding / turning over the O-ring as it is stationary. The camera case is a simple compression fit so no lubricant is necessary. The test went perfect and we dove twice with it this weekend and it worked perfect.

Dandy Don,
We are new to diving this summer. This weekend was our 10th dive, and we have been studying and doing confined water dives all winter. Here are two sample photos we took this weekend. The first is Yours Truly, the second is I think my best photo of the weekend. A starfish. It's going to be a long road, but we are getting the hang of it and having a blast. Please let me know what you think!

Kind regards,
Rick

PS I tried to upload my photos to the gallery and link the thumbnails the correct way. Please let me know if they are working. RP

Attachments

• Rick.jpg
    Rick.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Starfish.jpg
    Starfish.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
New divers lose so many cameras. I hope you insured it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom