SeaLife DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received mine this week and will be diving with it tomorrow morning in Miami.
I will post my first pictures if you are interested.

So far it is small and handy but I cannot say anything until I see it in the water.

Cannot wait!!!

I'm thinking of buying this camera too, but I'm a little naive about underwater cameras.
The only underwater unit I've used is an older model 35mm Nikonos with strobe. Takes great pics, but the manual settings make it difficult to get the quicker shots, and I want difital now.
I looked for housing for my digital canon EOS rebel, but cost is too high(1400.USD) just for the housing).
I have looked at some cameras in the local dive shops and they just don't seem that impressive. What kind of quality can I expect from this new 8. meg camera? How is sealife lens quality? Am I going to be disappointed?
I realize it is probably a little compromise from the Nikon and Canon lens's Im used to, but is it still a good bang for the buck at 799. for the camera/housing and strobe? I've read some really mixed reviews on sealife quality.

I was on the fence for the same reasons, but my hubby has the Nikon D50 setup and is our resident 'expert' amateur photographer. I just wanted a cheaper setup that could take decent pics to keep myself busy when we dive together, esp if he misses something that I see or maybe I can get that elusive shot that he somehow misses. AFter seeing some of the pics on SeaLife's DC600 gallery, I was convinced to get it. It fits my needs perfectly, and it is great having the WA lens that you can add/remove underwater on a whim! My best advice is to check out their website and look under the DC800 and/or DC600 product info, then go to the gallery for each of those models. There are some so-so photos, then there are some really good ones! I don't think the lens quality will match Nikon, but is it really that important? You will have to ask yourself. The digital strobe is really nice, along with the carrying case, as well. A drawback that is frustrating me is the short camera battery life. I usually haven't been able to get a full dive in without running out of battery with my 600. But I am new and taking several shots of each thing right now, playing with the strobe settings, etc, so maybe it will not be a big deal as I get more experienced with it.

A drawback that is frustrating me is the short camera battery life. I usually haven't been able to get a full dive in without running out of battery with my 600. But I am new and taking several shots of each thing right now, playing with the strobe settings, etc, so maybe it will not be a big deal as I get more experienced with it.

When did you purchase your DC600? We made an upgrade to the battery late last year and increased it from 650mAh to 700mAh. The new DC800 has a 1250mAh battery, so it's almost double the battery life.

I'm thinking of buying this camera too, but I'm a little naive about underwater cameras.
The only underwater unit I've used is an older model 35mm Nikonos with strobe. Takes great pics, but the manual settings make it difficult to get the quicker shots, and I want difital now.
I looked for housing for my digital canon EOS rebel, but cost is too high(1400.USD) just for the housing).
I have looked at some cameras in the local dive shops and they just don't seem that impressive. What kind of quality can I expect from this new 8. meg camera? How is sealife lens quality? Am I going to be disappointed?
I realize it is probably a little compromise from the Nikon and Canon lens's Im used to, but is it still a good bang for the buck at 799. for the camera/housing and strobe? I've read some really mixed reviews on sealife quality.

The DC800 has many new features and quality improvements, but everybody has a different opinion about what pictures are great, acceptable or “disappointing”. It is not easy to compare the DC800 with a high-end Canon or Nikon DSLR which can cost at least $4000 (including housing, lens, strobe, etc). The DC800 is easy-to-use with special underwater features, like Ext Flash mode or Sea mode with color correction. We also provide the entire camera system including housing and strobe, which gives us more control that everything works together. We also guarantee the entire camera set-up. I am pretty sure Nikon or Canon will not warranty the camera if your housing has a manufacturing defect and floods. The DC800 has auto and manual exposure settings and the results are quite impressive. You can check out some actual pictures taken with the DC800 on our website photo gallery - SeaLife Underwater Camerasor visit your local dive shop and take a look.

My company has delivered a couple DC800 systems. I was on a trip with one of our customers a few weeks ago and was blown away by the photos she took. They were very sharp and clear. The button is very easy to get to even with gloves on.

I have a system coming for me as well. I can't wait! Anything that helps my photos look better is A-OK by me!

When did you purchase your DC600? We made an upgrade to the battery late last year and increased it from 650mAh to 700mAh. The new DC800 has a 1250mAh battery, so it's almost double the battery life.

Just got my camera a month or so ago. I have two 700 mAh batteries and have to switch them out between dives...they do not last an entire dive, but almost. I suppose I can't get that 1250 for my 600, huh? :blinking: Guess I take too many pics...:D

The mini lasts about 1 dive. But I do take a lot of pics. It can last 2 dives if I am very conservative in my picture taking.

I picked up my DC800 yesterday. First impressions of the Pro Set is that this is one well made camera and flash!

We'll be heading to the Florida Keys for a week of diving beginning on July 13. I'll post some info/pictures when I return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom