SeaLife DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were you using a flash or just ambient light?

Just bought my first camera, the DC800 Pro I hope it is worth the cash. After reading 100's of posts and reviews on many different websites I feel it will be easiy enough for a beginner to use. Will post some Ice diving photo's in January. Hope it can handle the cold 35 degree water. most of the time in wisconsin the vis is 2-5'. anyone use it in low vis situations?

Okay I've now read all 19 pages and am getting interested in the SeaLife product again.
Three questions
1) Have any of you who've had the older 500 or 600 versions formed an opinion about the width of the built in wide angle in the 800 as compared to the older versions with the add on wide angle lens?
2) How about close up macro? Sea Horses, nudibranchs, and the like? I didn't see an add on macro kit for the 800 yet. I may be mistaken
3) anyone know a software program which would allow me to build a trip CD or DVD which could incorporate and intermix both the mini movies from the camera along with jpeg photos in a seemless presentation?
Thanks - Mr. Pat

I was messing around with it and realized that the camera looked very familiar. It is set up the exact same way as my regular digital camera, a Sanyo T700 that cost $60. The menus are exactly the same, they look the same and are in the same format, the buttons all lay in the same place and have the same exact icons. I'm thinking that this camera is the same exact copy of that but with an external underwater case. I hope it takes great photos underwater otherwise I just wasted $400.

If you look at the T700 and The DC800 - they are not the same. The flash is positioned differently - so it would not work in the housing. Also the camera specs are not the same.

Maybe Sanyo made the camera for SeaLife.

I was messing around with it and realized that the camera looked very familiar. It is set up the exact same way as my regular digital camera, a Sanyo T700 that cost $60. The menus are exactly the same, they look the same and are in the same format, the buttons all lay in the same place and have the same exact icons. I'm thinking that this camera is the same exact copy of that but with an external underwater case. I hope it takes great photos underwater otherwise I just wasted $400.
You had me going there for a sec so I looked at their site (Sanyo's) and found that these are not the same. 8mp not the 7mp that the T700 specs show it to be rated at, no way to attach an external strobe, 3264x2448 instead of just the 2560x1920 listed on the Sanyo site, and we get a 4x instead of a 3x optical zoom. The DC800 specs shows that we have the advantage of 24bit color vs the Sanyo's meager 8bit AND the specs on our macro allow us to get a little closer with our DC800's.

Exposure, ISO, blah blah blah ... no comparison.

Nah. We have a better camera with the DC800 :wink:

You can do close wide angle with the DC800. There is enough quality to crop if necessary. Some picture I took with mine.
PICT0112.jpg

PICT0301_edited-1.jpg

The last picture I cropped to get more detail of the Nudibrach.

You can do close wide angle with the DC800. There is enough quality to crop if necessary. Some picture I took with mine.
PICT0112.jpg

PICT0301_edited-1.jpg

The last picture I cropped to get more detail of the Nudibrach.

Hey Man thanks a lot- Your macro shots prove that you can get in close enough for me. My previous UW camera needed a seperate close up lens and sticks to get that kind of close up. That leaves just one question for this group:
3) anyone know a software program which would allow me to build a trip CD or DVD which could incorporate an intermix of both the mini movies from the camera along with jpeg photos in a seemless presentation?

Thanks - Mr. Pat

How do you keep the lens of housing clean? I'm am going to Hawaii to try it out for the first time so I have no experience in underwater photography. Do you clean it with windex at the end of the dives or what? Thank you.

I would check the manual but would be very careful using something like windex. In over a year I've only ever used water to clean mine on the outside and never had a problem. You are going to be taking it back in the water so as long as you don't have something really sticky on the lens it will wash away. On the inside I use a lens cloth and just wipe it off once in a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom