Sealife DC1400 users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssroseberry

Reaction score
I just got the DC1400 Pro with external flash. I will be using it for the first time next month in Roatan and have a few questions.

What have you found the best settings to be for that type of diving?

What does the "saturation" setting do? and have you had any trouble with the battery life?
I just read on another site that the battery only last's about one dive.

Congratulations on your new camera. I have had mine for about a month now. I typically use the underwater setting in the setup menu. I have not played with the saturation settings on mine but I will ask another friend of mine that has the same set up. The battery for the camera itself has been fine for me, I went on three consecutive dives and only got down to about 2 bars with over 200 pics taken. The flash batteries however were different. They only lasted me about 100 pics. I will be using the lithium next time for the flash.

Best of luck.
Chase

Honestly, the settings you use will depend on the subject you are shooting. It will take some trial by fire to learn what you like best. My main suggestion is to become very familiar with how to navigate the menus, camera and strobe settings, and manual white balance with the housing on before you take it into the water. That way, you can make your adjustments on the fly without wasting too much time. If you don't feel like messing with most of that, the auto setting does a pretty good job, and you'll learn from there what things you'll want to tweak.

I would just keep the saturation setting at normal. I used to use the "Vivid" setting on the DC1200, but on the DC1400, it seems to saturate blues more than it did before. Granted, this was with a very limited trial on "Vivid", but you can always add a little saturation post-production, if needed.

As far as the battery is concerned, I wouldn't suggest three dives on one battery. As you know, you'll always see the coolest stuff when your battery is D-E-A-D. I can make it through two dives, but that's only because I set the auto-off to it's lowest setting (1 minute), turn off the image stabilization, and keep the LCD screen at it's lowest brightness setting. I highly suggest buying a backup battery and external charger if you haven't already. Also, get rechargeable batteries for the strobes, and charge them overnight every day or so. Better to be safe than sorry, and it'll save you money on batteries in the long run.

Enjoy Roatan! I'll be in Utila in a couple of months and can't wait.

I have the DC1400 with pro flash with diffuser and video light. First time using the 1400 and pro flash last May. Did 25 dives. Never had an issue with the battery life with a two tank dive. All my shots were in the easy setup mode. The video light makes a great dive light. Really bright for night dive and lasted the whole dive on on charge of the batteries.

Here are some pics taken with the DC1400 in Cozumel last May.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/422733-dive-martin-review-25-dives-picture.html

Thanks for the suggestions!

Did any of you take video with it, and how did you find the video quality?

I have been experimenting with it since I got it (and I have read the directions cover to cover). I am finding that it has a very long shutter lag when I have it set to land, and a little longer than desired shutter lag when set to water (under easy settings) did you have the same experience?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Did any of you take video with it, and how did you find the video quality?

I have been experimenting with it since I got it (and I have read the directions cover to cover). I am finding that it has a very long shutter lag when I have it set to land, and a little longer than desired shutter lag when set to water (under easy settings) did you have the same experience?

Sorry, I've never used it for video... At least not yet. I'm always too afraid of missing a good photo op if I switch over to video. And yes, focal/shutter lag can definitely be a problem at times. I've learned to take pics of eels when its mouth is closed... It'll be open by the time the picture is taken...lol.

i have a dc1400 pro kit coming soon. i was wondering if anyone had used class 10 memory cards in it or just the class 6 and if you have run into any problems with sandisk or pny chips?

i am retiring my old Olympus d580 4mp and housing to my save a dive kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom