Seal maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So Jessica...

I'm about to change the wrist seals on my DUI TLS-350. They've held up for 150 saltwater wreck dives over the last two years or so - and I hope they can hold up for two more dives as we're hitting the RP Resor this weekend!

resor2.jpg

That being said, I'm interest to know what are the official DUI "Tips and Tricks" to ensure maximum seal life?

I've used Seal Saver on my current seals religiously, and they actually look and feel like brand new. Everyplace except right where the seals join the suit, where they are wearing thin with a touch of dry-rot. Interestingly, I'd always sort of let up on applying Seal Saver as I got closer to the end of the seal for fear of getting it on the trilam material. Perhaps I've done myself a disservice in this regard?

I'm assuming hoping for more that 150 dives on a set of wrist seals is living on borrowed time anyway, but what's the secret to optimizing seal longevity?

Sounds like you are doing an excellent job of extending the life of your seals! The key to extending the longevity of your seals is...
1) Make sure you rinse them after every dive
2) Keep them away from any form of ozone (ie: sun, cars, water heater)
3) Talc them before putting them to rest (in storage)
4) After the suit is dry, store in the drysuit bag in a cool, dry environment
5) When donning the suit, you can stretch the seals in width, but be careful about stretching the seals in length (prematurely wears them out)

These tips should help and, remember, we can always retrofit any DUI suit with zipseals for quick self-replacement.

Thanks,

Jessica
DUI

Sounds like you are doing an excellent job of extending the life of your seals! The key to extending the longevity of your seals is...
1) Make sure you rinse them after every dive
2) Keep them away from any form of ozone (ie: sun, cars, water heater)
3) Talc them before putting them to rest (in storage)
4) After the suit is dry, store in the drysuit bag in a cool, dry environment
5) When donning the suit, you can stretch the seals in width, but be careful about stretching the seals in length (prematurely wears them out)

These tips should help and, remember, we can always retrofit any DUI suit with zipseals for quick self-replacement.

Thanks,

Jessica
DUI

Great tips! Thanks! I didn't know that about longitudinal stretching.

Dave C

...and, remember, we can always retrofit any DUI suit with zipseals for quick self-replacement.

I have ZipSeals on my 30/30 to avoid the potential of missing any dives on say a Cayman Aggressor live-aboard trip, but on the TLS-350 I opted for regular seals. Zip seals don't work well when trying to reach way back into a hole to "invite" this guy home for dinner!

412022.jpg

So Jessica...

I'm about to change the wrist seals on my DUI TLS-350. They've held up for 150 saltwater wreck dives over the last two years or so - and I hope they can hold up for two more dives as we're hitting the RP Resor this weekend!

resor2.jpg

That being said, I'm interest to know what are the official DUI "Tips and Tricks" to ensure maximum seal life?

I've used Seal Saver on my current seals religiously, and they actually look and feel like brand new. Everyplace except right where the seals join the suit, where they are wearing thin with a touch of dry-rot. Interestingly, I'd always sort of let up on applying Seal Saver as I got closer to the end of the seal for fear of getting it on the trilam material. Perhaps I've done myself a disservice in this regard?

I'm assuming hoping for more that 150 dives on a set of wrist seals is living on borrowed time anyway, but what's the secret to optimizing seal longevity?

RJP since you have Zip Seals on your 30/30 you could take them off the suit and store them in a zip lock baggies when not in use. I also use Seal Saver on them like you mentioned.

I was told by a person at DUI that storing them in Zip Lock baggie will increase the life of the seal.s I place the neck seal in one large Zip Lock baggie and the two wrist seals in another Zip Lock baggie when the suit is not in use.

They are stored in a heated/air conditioned room.

Back
Top Bottom