Seal encounter Grave's Light 08/08/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Me and some friends were diving off Grave's Light in Boston Harbor on my friend's boat for lobsters.

Saw a lone seal in the water that kept popping his head in and out of the water while we were gearing up. Went down for our first on the outer side of Grave's Light but didnt see any seals though we did pretty well for lobsters.

2nd dive we moved the boat to the inner/harbor side of Grave's Light and within about 5 minutes into the dive we passed by a lobster trap and saw a seal laying on its' side eating the bait inside the trap. He then provided to swim about 3-4 ft in front of us and swim around us.

Not too long after. I felt something pulling my fin and thought it was one of my dive buddies trying to get my attention. Turns out the seal was nibbling on my fin.

Not a bad dive at all. Turns out you dont need to venture all the way up to Isle of Shoals for seal encounters.

Seals in the water, you're in the water, sharks in the water!!! Farewell and adiou to you fair spanish ladies......(JAWS).

just kiddding, we have seen them there before. How did you do on bugs? last time i dived there about month ago all we found with 5 experienced divers were undersized.

Generally we do pretty well there. I got 7 total in 2 dives. Unfortunately almost every good sized lobster I grabbed had eggs which I guess is a good thing. I would have had lots more. There are definitely good lobstering there. On the outer side of the island is where we do best near the tip of the lighthouse.

Lots of great white shark jokes on the boat that day but unfortunately didnt see any.

I dove the salvages on Sunday off of Rockport and there is a playful seal colony that has stayed for the summer as well. I think the water has been colder (especially thermocline-wise) this year and these seals have decided to stick around Boston Harbor and Cape Ann instead of going North.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom