Seahorses on Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoda-X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This morning Rhonda and I were discussing our upcoming trip to Roatan. What we want to see and what isn't important. The #1 thing my beautiful bride wants to see is a seahorse. So, for those that have gone to Roatan and know the dive sites fairly well, can you tell us which sites are best for seeing these incredible little creatures?

Maybe this is a stupid question as the island isn't that big and they could be everywhere. Then again, I don't know what I don't know.

Yoda-X

I guess somewhat hard to predict.

I spent a week diving on Roatan a few weeks ago...and I would say we saw perhaps 8-10 seahorses during the week. The one I remember most vividly was located on Newman's Wall adjacent to CocoView, where we were staying. My daughter and I have been to CCV on Roatan each year 2012-2015 and we have seen multiple seahorses on each trip. We've stayed at CCV each time...so all south side diving.

Where are you staying? Best bet is to let the DMs you are diving with know that you are on a mission to find seahorses.

I don't know either, I only know that I have seen seahorses in Roatan. Tell your DM you want to see seahorses and he should be able to tell you or show you.

We are staying at Turquoise Bay. They did tell us we could go dive some of the South sites a couple of mornings also. The biggies for me are lion fish and sea turtles. And, and, and....... I want to see everything lol

Edit: misread post. I'm an idiot. Never mind.

We are staying at Turquoise Bay.

When you get there go to the dive shop and find Daren. Tell him Jackie and Hank said to hook Rhonda up with some Seahorses and that if he can't do that, we said to send you over on the South side to meet Daren Jr. who is a lock to find you several.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:. Seriously, Darren should be able to get you guys to the most likely spots if anyone can. He has a good staff there with him at Turquoise and I am sure they will work hard for you. The South side is generally better than the North side for Seahorses. Here is a few of the many we found when we were diving with Aqua Adventures at Media Luna. PICT0044.jpgPICT0041.jpgPICT0042.jpgPICT0044.jpgPICT0045.jpgPICT0048.jpgPICT0051.jpg

We are staying at Turquoise Bay. They did tell us we could go dive some of the South sites a couple of mornings also. The biggies for me are lion fish and sea turtles. And, and, and....... I want to see everything lol
You're should see lots of turtles on the north side. Almost a guarantee. I'd guess 80% of our north side dives at least one. Sometimes if you disturb one they do lazy circles overhead till you leave so look up occasionally since they often watch from above. Plus they have to breathe occasionally.

IDK about lionfish since I think there's an active program there thru the Marine Park to cull them. So there's probably still some deeper than rec divers go - they're not stupid.
You might mention wanting to see one before the DM spears it also if TB is part of the program.

Tell your DM you want to see seahorses and he should be able to tell you or show you.
The best way to find them. Notice in all the pictures what they're hanging onto. Look for that. If you do go south I've heard you can find them on the deck of the Prince Albert - other operators besides CCV dive it.

You will not find seahorses diving on the north side where Turquoise Bay is located. We have dove that side of the island all the way from West Bay up to Turquoise Bay and have never seen a seahorse.

But on the south side of the island, they are plentiful. They enjoy the shallow, sun-lit walls and the normal mild current that sends plenty of nutrients through the water column. Subway Watersports, the dive operation at Turquoise Bay, has secured a spot for a couple of their boats at Little French Key on the south side. I think when things are rough on the north side (which they frequently are during the winter months) they now have the ability to send divers over to the south side. So be sure to tell them that seahorses are your priority and I have no doubt they will do their best to accomodate you. They have some great divemasters who have been diving the south side for many years. The sites where we saw them on this trip were Pirate's Point, Tulio's Place and Half Moon Bay Wall at Media Luna Resort.

On the north side, you can expect to see many turtles and spotted eagle rays, and probably more larger fish like grouper, etc. But the conditions are tougher as a general rule on that side of the island and the smaller critters have a harder time in harsh environments. Maybe next time you're ready to go back to Roatan, you can come hang with the Cajuns and we will teach you where they live so you can find them on your own in the future :D

By the way...we are hoping for a FULL trip report when you return!

We saw several sea horses in late March diving from Anthony's Key. I would have to check my log to remember which sites, but I dubbed our guide Mr. Seahorse. It was great.
There was no shortage of lion fish or sea turtles either.

Deborah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom