Sea water in tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Optik

Reaction score
Ok, so i found this tank on the beach up to the neck in sand around the time hurricane Kenna hit puerto vallarta. The tank looked fine other than lost paint. Anyways, I took it to get hydro (only had one hydro on it) and when they opened the tank there was sea water in it. Now the funny thing is that the tank had about 1000 psi inside. How could sea water get inside the tank while under pressure? There is no way the hurricane was that strong.

Well, i thought maybe since the valve lost the knob that maybe thats how, but i cant imagine that being the case. Well they cleaned the tank and did VIP and hydro. They found about an inch of salt at the bottom too. The tank works and passed hydro fine.

So my question is after hydro and cleaning will this tank kill any equipment or me? One thing is the air seems to taste fine and looks clean.

NetDoc:
It should be fine... the salt water got in before the last fill... not after it.

Er... what??

NetDoc:
It should be fine... the salt water got in before the last fill... not after it.

You know its funny, thats what the airfill guy started to tell me.

Crappy fill station ehh. . .

How much water and was it really salt water? I bet it was fresh or at worst, brackish. This is from sloppy fills and/or poorly maintained fill equipment.

Roak

Let me get this straight.

A. Tank found on beach had 1000 psi in it.
B. Tank has seawater in it.
C. Bad fill led to seawater being in tank prior to hurricane.

So the seawater in the tank had nothing to do with the hurricane or being left in the ocean for god knows how long, but was the result of a previous bad fill? And the previous fill left an INCH of salt buildup in the tank? Plus, how is it better that the saltwater was a result of a bad fill, rather than getting in some other way? WHAT other way could saltwater get in if the tank was still under pressure, anyway?

This isn't some kind of "riddle post" is it? Like that scuba diver found dead in the middle of a burned down forest? I HATE riddles!!

archman:
Let me get this straight.

A. Tank found on beach had 1000 psi in it.
B. Tank has seawater in it.
C. Bad fill led to seawater being in tank prior to hurricane.

So the seawater in the tank had nothing to do with the hurricane or being left in the ocean for god knows how long, but was the result of a previous bad fill? And the previous fill left an INCH of salt buildup in the tank? Plus, how is it better that the saltwater was a result of a bad fill, rather than getting in some other way? WHAT other way could saltwater get in if the tank was still under pressure, anyway?

This isn't some kind of "riddle post" is it? Like that scuba diver found dead in the middle of a burned down forest? I HATE riddles!!

I doubt that a bad fill could result in that much water in the tank unless the air being pumped in had a relative humidity of 100% (and even then it would not be salt water), which case the fill station should be permanently banned.

In all likelihood at some point the tank was completely drained, which resulted in water getting in and then refilled somewhere along the line without a visual inspection.

Was it a J or H valve? We used to run our J valves dry all of the time. Heck, the dive was ended when you ran out of air!!! We always seemed to get water in our tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom