Sea wasps ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are ways to limit contact with these guys. They will not sting unless they come into direct contact with skin. Even panty hose will keep them from firing their nematocysts. I saw someone rub a Flickeri on his panty hosed legs....no sting. I like getting my camera close to swimming jellies. I wear a lycra hood which covers my head, forehead, neck and chin. Only the area around my mouth is vulnerable. I wear 3mm everywhere else with a neoprene beanie. With your allergy, I would not dive without one...ever.

I was diving in Belize at the Hamanasi Resort years ago. I asked if I could night dive under their dock. They said no one ever had but to go ahead. I got in with my camera and big focus light and strobes and found all kinds of neat critters to shoot. I tilted my camera up and LO AND BEHOLD, a sea wasp was swimming right above my head, hunting in the lights. I immediately left the water.

Out of curiosity, I tied a rope to a dive light and dropped it just under the surface from the dock. The light called up 11 sea wasps!! They were swimming back and forth in the beam of light hunting critters attracted by the lights. It was fascinating. Sea wasps are heaped in with the "box jellys" and though not considered as dangerous as Flickeri or Irukandji, they can put a world of hurt on you. And, if you are allergic.......

Here are some poor photos taken from the dock;

2089752752_fd09ceee3f_o.jpg

2089752780_35a929987e_o.jpg

2089752770_5159572316_o.jpg

2089752776_2b9a3ca053_o.jpg

I'm in Maui now. I'm getting stung a lot by what I call sea-lice (I think they're like jelly fish larvae). I can't really see what's getting me (although on super clear vis days I see a lot of pink super small stuff in the water), but I get little prick like stings that leave marks (like fly bites I'll say) for a few hours. I know others react differently (and some days I have none while others with me have stings/marks).

It's not painful enough (for me) that I do anything about them, but they're here now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom