Sea wasps ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Zimmerly:
There are two other cousins to the deadly sea wasp or box jellyfish that are somtimes mistaken for the sea wasp. These are the Carybdea alata Reynaud and the Chiropsalmus quadrigatus Haeckel. Both of these marine animals are also know as sea wasps, but they are not as poisonous or as deadly as the box jellyfish or Sea Wasp (Chironex fleckeri Southcott).
The zoology crowd refers to the whole taxon as sea wasps and box jellies, which encompasses over a dozen species. My general text lists 15, but I think we're up to nearly 30 now.

The species' known as "Irukandji-type" are considered the most dangerous. They're usually teeny. Symptoms for humans are different than for Chironex and the other big kinds. There's a delayed reaction before the life-threatening stuff kicks in.

Currently, intravenously-delivered magnesium is thought to be a good treatment against box jelly stings. I'm not sure if it's still experimental, however.

scubabear:
Hi, We'll be diving for a week off Kona in June. I'm seriously allergic to sea wasp stings.
Often pass on the night dives when prevelent. Carry eppy. pen, antihisit, etc., etc.
Last hit was a near fatal one, from a little carribean bugger. So, are wasps common to these waters? Would love to do the Manta night dive, but short of being the boy in the bubble, I don know. Thanks

In essence, we are all "allergic" to box jellies. I mean humans are not immune to the nematocyst stings, right? In theory, one can be allergic to almost anything. Scubabear, did you get a small sting that caused a massive reaction? Or did you get wrapped up in one, long burns across you skin, etc. And did the epi pen work on your last (near fatal) attack? Also, did you get a medical test for this allergy?

As far as your question, if I remember correctly (help me out hawaii ohana) the box jelly warnings are right around or right after the new moon here in Hawaii, correct? If no one else chimes in you could contact NOAA here in Hawaii to ask about timing and frequency of sightings.

We have encountered one in 7 years here, Kona side of the Big Island.

They are usually seen within the first 10 days after a full moon (at least that's what I've been told :)

donnyb:
In essence, we are all "allergic" to box jellies. I mean humans are not immune to the nematocyst stings, right? In theory, one can be allergic to almost anything. Scubabear, did you get a small sting that caused a massive reaction? Or did you get wrapped up in one, long burns across you skin, etc. And did the epi pen work on your last (near fatal) attack? Also, did you get a medical test for this allergy?
Yeah, I totally understand. Sea wasps are so nasty, it doesn't really matter if you're allergic or not!

Typically an "allergic reaction" with many animal stings induces anaphylactic shock in their victims. This can be treated with a jolt of epinephrine. It's functionally more like an "error" in your immune response. Any body damage is essentially self-induced.

Animal venoms actually cause cell, tissue, and organ damage. One needs an antivenom to counteract them. Antivenoms are usually specific against the biochemistry of the venom, so they have limited/no effect on non-similiar venoms.

So if you're allergic to cubozoans, you're doubly screwed!:D

donnyb:

As far as your question, if I remember correctly (help me out hawaii ohana) the box jelly warnings are right around or right after the new moon here in Hawaii, correct? If no one else chimes in you could contact NOAA here in Hawaii to ask about timing and frequency of sightings.

We have encountered one in 7 years here, Kona side of the Big Island.

Hi, it was a small sting with massive result. Have had same reaction to yellow jacket sting. The epi pen is good for about 20 minutes of relief, had two onboard. This allowed me to get 150mg of bennedryl onboard. Later followed with prednisone dose.
Probably should have gone to hospt., but remote. So passed a rough night, skipped
next day diving but was able to finish the rest of the week without incident.
Thanks for the info. will check further.

Dave Zimmerly;1704403There are two other cousins to the deadly sea wasp or box jellyfish that are somtimes mistaken for the sea wasp. These are the Carybdea alata Reynaud and the Chiropsalmus quadrigatus Haeckel. Both of these marine animals are also know as sea wasps:
I wanted to resurrect this topic because the above is not correct. If you do some reading about these two species, you'll find they both are quite lethal. For instance, the online Encyclopedia of Life says of the Chiropsalmus quadrigatus: "A considerable number of people are killed each year by these transparent, grapefruit-sized predators. Laboratory experiments have shown that the sea wasp's venom is 700 times more powerful than that of the better known Portuguese Man-of-War."

Just saying that when/if you use an Epipen, someone should be calling 911 at the same time since you should be going to the hospital as quickly has possible.

anyone have pics?

Sure do, as observed on a blackwater dive 3 miles offshore of Oahu. They tend to show up inshore 7-10 days after the full moon.

Cubozoan watermarked.jpg

seems like epi would be a standard item for a boat first aid kit. if somebody has a serious anaphalactic reaction with airway involvement... good thing some people carry those epi pens.

I think they require a prescription, don't they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom