Sea Shepherd condemned by International Whaling Commission.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what way is it against their national interest? That is my question.

It's funny how people will quote wikipedia one time as a first quality source and when someone uses it on something they dont agree with, it becomes a turd quality source...

Wow Wardric, that's a really disgusting signature.

Kim,

This is just a question, not an accusation or anything in line with that. When you say "national interest", may I assume your are speaking of whaling, amoung other things? If so, how is whaling in their national interest? Is it simply cultural? Because they don't need the food source, do they?

Thanks for taking this question seriously.
They see protecting their cultural heritage as part of their national interest - just like anyone else. They also see whaling as something that should be economic - which is why they argue the IWC should end the moratorium and allow people to resume sustainable commercial whaling. Note "sustainable"! They don't advocate a simple lifting of all restrictions by a long way. Any food source is welcome here as the country is around 80% mountains which don't support any kind of farming - especially livestock. Most of the meat consumed here has to be imported - mainly from the US and Australia.

What would you supporters of the Sea Shepherd be saying is whaling wasn't involved.

What if they were upset about the environmental impact of SCUBA DIVING and were out harrassing dive boats? Would you still say that the ends justify the means?

Scuba diving doesn't have quite the same inhumane, barbaric, insensitive, inexcusable effects as shooting an explosive harpoon into a whale's hide or walking up to a defenseless seal and repeatedly clubbing it in the head.

Canada's Seal Slaughter

Japanese Whaling, Greedy Brutal Lies!

Actually - the Japanese are probably among the best in the world at maintaining marine resources

Let's not forget the dolphin slaughter in Japan. To me, this video doesn't show that Japan is among the best at maintaining marine resources.

Dolphin Slaughter

Well, I guess I could see the cultural thing, to an extent.

But the economic thing makes the most sense, in today's world. But with not so much support from the people, then I would think they would give it up. And why is it subsidized? Does Japan have lobbiests similar to the US?

To me, this video doesn't show that Japan is among the best at maintaining marine resources.
It also doesn't demonstrate national behaviour. If you don't know, or don't want to believe, the facts that's your problem.

Videos are easy...... There are disgusting ones from the US showing the results of some farming methods practised there. It doesn't mean that's the standard for the entire country and all the farmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom