Sea Shepherd condemned by International Whaling Commission.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does this sector of the Japanese fishing industry continue to pursue this course of action, especially in light of the fact that no one wants the meat? It's a tremendous waste of time, energy and Yen. What motivates the leadership of this industry to continue this course of action?
X

a legitimate question X. On the WCW site, they give these possible answers :

Eating whale meat is far more environmentally friendly than eating beef, lamb or pork. Harvesting nature's surplus means that biodiversity and habitat does not have to be destroyed and turned into agricultural land.

Whaling does not destroy the environment and is very energy efficient - producing beef requires much more energy than producing whale meat.
As free-range animals, whales are spared the prolonged suffering of factory-farm livestock.

The products from the hunt are used for human consumption, including meat, fins, blubber, etc. Whale meat is rich in protein (23.5%), lean and tasty. Whale products are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, selenium, vitamin E etc. These are beneficial to human health, helping prevent diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.

Sustainable whaling means putting into practice the principles of conservation and sustainable use as embodied by the world community in Agenda 21.
Whaling provides a livelihood in many coastal communities around the world both for subsistence and for trade.

The activity of hunting in numerous communities is one primary vehicle for the transmission of traditional ecological knowledge from generation to generation. The important role this knowledge offers humanity is recognised by the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity.

Recognition that cultural differences exist and that minorities (and not only the majority) have rights, especially when seeking to base actions on ethics.
It makes no sense at all to refrain from sustainably utilising the traditional renewable resources of one's community, and to rely on the perhaps unsafe meat imports from the industrialised large-scale agricultural countries.

World Council of Whalers - The United Voice of Whaling Peoples

You know where I stand X, I always said if it's sustainable, nothing is wasted and done in a less harmfull way possible, I have no problem with hunting any animals, including whales. If someone proves me the meat is wasted (like poached elephants), the animal is endangered (like blue whales) or is done in a cruel way (like deer fishing :11:), then I am the most fierce defender of Nature's right, altough I wouldn't use what I call useless or short term methods (like tying myself to a tree or ramming ships).

a legitimate question X. On the WCW site, they give these possible answers :

Eating whale meat is far more environmentally friendly than eating beef, lamb or pork. Harvesting nature's surplus means that biodiversity and habitat does not have to be destroyed and turned into agricultural land.

Whaling does not destroy the environment and is very energy efficient - producing beef requires much more energy than producing whale meat.
As free-range animals, whales are spared the prolonged suffering of factory-farm livestock.

The products from the hunt are used for human consumption, including meat, fins, blubber, etc. Whale meat is rich in protein (23.5%), lean and tasty. Whale products are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, selenium, vitamin E etc. These are beneficial to human health, helping prevent diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.

Sustainable whaling means putting into practice the principles of conservation and sustainable use as embodied by the world community in Agenda 21.
Whaling provides a livelihood in many coastal communities around the world both for subsistence and for trade.

The activity of hunting in numerous communities is one primary vehicle for the transmission of traditional ecological knowledge from generation to generation. The important role this knowledge offers humanity is recognised by the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity.

Recognition that cultural differences exist and that minorities (and not only the majority) have rights, especially when seeking to base actions on ethics.
It makes no sense at all to refrain from sustainably utilising the traditional renewable resources of one's community, and to rely on the perhaps unsafe meat imports from the industrialised large-scale agricultural countries.

You know where I stand X, I always said if it's sustainable, nothing is wasted and done in a less harmfull way possible, I have no problem with hunting any animals, including whales. If someone proves me the meat is wasted (like poached elephants), the animal is endangered (like blue whales) or is done in a cruel way (like deer fishing :11:), then I am the most fierce defender of Nature's right, altough I wouldn't use what I call useless or short term methods (like tying myself to a tree or ramming ships).

Cheers.

While the above info. might make sense on paper, the Japanese aren't eating the meat. They can't sell it off, and Norway can't move it either. Says something about the futility of this niche of the fishing industry. I have to start researching to see who actually has voting control, and why they pursue this tact. I'm pretty sure we have some hard-liners sitting on the board...if there even is a board?

Also, I have to look at WCW more closely. It seems to represent indigenous fishing & whaling rights, which in itself is focused on special needs.

X

Where did you get the info that japanese aren't eating the meat?

According to the WCW section on Japan, they seem to do.

In the Japanese diet, all parts of the cetaceans harvested are prized, including the intestine and other organs, cartilage, skin, meat, and blubber. Nothing is wasted, and by means of this practice the rich and diverse regional Japanese food cultures are maintained.

Like I said, If they waste it, it's a shame.

Where did you get the info that japanese aren't eating the meat?

According to the WCW section on Japan, they seem to do.

In the Japanese diet, all parts of the cetaceans harvested are prized, including the intestine and other organs, cartilage, skin, meat, and blubber. Nothing is wasted, and by means of this practice the rich and diverse regional Japanese food cultures are maintained.

Like I said, If they waste it, it's a shame.

Whale meat inventory up amid sluggish consumption | The Japan Times Online

there's more, but I've got a fever brewing....ack.

X

from the article

The Fisheries Agency admits the whale meat inventory is rising and has begun studying ways to expand sales in Japan.

"It is true that such a trend exists. We will study ways to expand sales channels as well as to reform sales methods," an agency official said.

If the sales dont go up, then they should lower the catches accordingly.

I fish a lot and when my freezer gets to a certain limit, I start doing catch and release until my "inventory" goes down. My goal is to never waste a fish. Same shoud be applied by the japanese or icelandic or norwegian or US or canadian or any whalers

Now, get some rest and drink lots of liquids X :)

Well Geoff aquaman's world would be about right as far as the sea is concerned. Considering he is the only surviving son of Atlantis and supreme defender of the sea.

We don't pick on just Japanese whaling, we just try to stay on topic and Japanese whaling is the topic of this discussion.
You're kidding right? :shakehead:

Have you actually read the thread title?

You guys are so far off topic in your attacks on the Japanese it's a form of racism. You have turned a thread which is about the IWC denouncing the behaviour of an organization that acts in an extremely dangerous fashion, YET AGAIN, into another Japan bashing fest which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic.

Please.......piss off and start your own thread. :shakehead:

You guys are so far off topic in your attacks on the Japanese it's a form of racism.
What a typical response from the whaling lobby. Speaking out against whaling is not racist. The colour of the whalers' skin doesn't give them the moral or legal right to torture thousands of whales to death. They are doing it in the IWC-designated Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary and thus it is illegal, regardless of whatever excuses they make about research. Japan is also a UN member, and the UN World Charter for Nature authorizes individuals and non-governmental organizations to ensure that international conservation laws are followed. Whaling is the reason for which Sea Shepherd did what they did this winter, and thus it is relevant to this thread.

What a typical response from the whaling lobby. Speaking out against whaling is not racist.
I never said it was. Constantly twisting the topic so that whatever the real subject, it's made once again to be a new attack on the Japanese IS though.

This thread has nothing to do with the Japanese whatsoever. It has to do with the appalling behaviour of Sea Shepherd, and the condemnation of that behaviour.

I'm amazed that the Moderators have allowed this thread to go so far off topic - expecially considering the complaints at the beginning, and my repeated requests to keep to the topic or go post elsewhere. :shakehead:

hey are doing it in the IWC-designated Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary and thus it is illegal, regardless of whatever excuses they make about research. .

IWC-designated Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary? Did you just make this up?

Please provide a source for your claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom