Sea & Sea MX10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Klieb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok I am a camera newbie and havent been real into taking pictures because well sometimes I feel i miss some thing on a dive looking through the viewfinder and i wasnt ready or willing to drop 1k on a camera and case and etc to take pictures. But recently a guy at work told me he had a Sea&Sea MX10 that he would part with because he had quit diving and wanted 150$ for it. Now my question being a film camera and the fact its discontinued is it worth it to buy or are there better options out there for the guy who just wants to catch a few things in pictures and not looking to win any photo contest?

Wait and get a digital camera. Your costs will be MUCH lower and you will get better pictures because you can immediately adjust and improve.

Wait and get a digital camera. Your costs will be MUCH lower and you will get better pictures because you can immediately adjust and improve.

I kinda figured that would be the consensus Im just curiouswhy you would say cost would be lower every digital camera Ive looked at even the beginner ones were 800 or better of 350 for a GoPro

I kinda figured that would be the consensus Im just curiouswhy you would say cost would be lower every digital camera Ive looked at even the beginner ones were 800 or better of 350 for a GoPro
You can buy a used digital camera just like you are looking at a used film camera. Take a look at used Olympus TG-4,5 or 6. Good to 50 ft without a housing. Of lesser value (IMHO) is the Sea&Sea micro series.

Also, it doesn't take very many pictures on film to have the operating cost overwhelm the camera cost. Digital is pretty much free to use as much as you like. Film you get 36 pictures on a dive. Digital you can take ten times that.

Also, you need a strobe with any camera, if the MX-10 does not have one, you are still in need of a strobe, I had one and it was a great little camera in it's day but unless it was given to me, I would not use it

The MX-10 is listed on eBay for $20, WITH strobe.
$80 for a TG4.

Well, then buy the damn thing from your friend for $150.
It is NOT worth even $80.
At $20 you can buy one roll of film, use it, say you did, and throw it away.

Well, then buy the damn thing from your friend for $150.
It is NOT worth even $80.
At $20 you can buy one roll of film, use it, say you did, and throw it away.

@tursiops what the hell. I got the point that the camera isnt worth the 150 no sense in getting all upset and well pissy.......... Just because I pointed out that the 80 dollar TG4 was for parts only.....

Now as I was getting on here to actually say is thank for the advice and ill start looking for a used TG4,5,or 6 and a housing at some point..... Or another Digital Camera that will serve me well and is not discontinued .......

My $80 comment was about a MX-10.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom