Sea Of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Cortez Diver ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

Okay ... Okay ... stop rubbing it in ... LOL!

Welcome to SB. I've been to "the other" San Carlos on Mag Bay, but I know the diving is much better off yours!

Welcome!

I first dove San Carlos in 1955! No roads, no people, very desolate, but at that time some of the best diving in the world!

I continued to dive it until 1963...then civilization began appearing.

Published a long forgotten article about those days of yester year many years ago--lots of memories!

sdm

Hello everybody.

I live in the Phoenix area, and I'm interested in learning more about diving in San Carlos (never been there). Most of my experience is in California and the Caribbean. Any recommendations as to dive sites, dive shops, pricing and lodging in San Carlos would be really appreciated. Are there any safety issues that I should be aware of when diving in Mexico? I'm not at all squeamish about Mexico, btw, we spend alot of time in Rocky Point. It's just that a family member had an accident in Cancun a number of years ago, so I just want to be informed before my kids strap on a tank. (They are newly certified divers just back from the British Virgin Islands, ages 12 and 16, and itching to dive again -- so I have to find something affordable!)

Thanks in advance for you advice!

Amy Sparrow

welcome aboard

Welcome, Tommy! When I lived in Arizona, I frequented San Carlos. Great diving there!

Hello everybody.

I live in the Phoenix area, and I'm interested in learning more about diving in San Carlos (never been there). Most of my experience is in California and the Caribbean. Any recommendations as to dive sites, dive shops, pricing and lodging in San Carlos would be really appreciated. Are there any safety issues that I should be aware of when diving in Mexico? I'm not at all squeamish about Mexico, btw, we spend alot of time in Rocky Point. It's just that a family member had an accident in Cancun a number of years ago, so I just want to be informed before my kids strap on a tank. (They are newly certified divers just back from the British Virgin Islands, ages 12 and 16, and itching to dive again -- so I have to find something affordable!)

Thanks in advance for you advice!

Amy Sparrow

Amy, you can do shore dives in Lalo Bay. It's fairly shallow with an average depth of 25-30', but lots of life is there. I've seen some good size Morays. The dive shop I used to use was bought by a valley shop last year and recently closed. I believe Ocean Sports and Gary's are the only 2 shops left. I can't say I recommend either one; however, Gary's boats don't take quite as many divers as Ocean Sports. I stayed in the Marinaterra the first time I went there, but prefer the Best Western Tetakawi. It's about a mile from the marina, but much less per night. I paid $70/night last time I was there. You may also be able to find a condo in the area. Lots of great restaurants in the area along the main drag and in some of the hotels along the beach. It's a nice little town with lots of non-Mexicans living there. Less crowded than Rocky Point.

I live in the Phoenix area, and I'm interested in learning more about diving in San Carlos (never been there).
Most of the diving is done out at San Pedro Island. About 1-2 hrs. each way depending on what boat you get on. If there's a class on your boat (often) they'll anchor in one of the protective coves in very shallow water. I did one dive in 30' or less towards the cliffs, some parts of it were 10' or less - and still found a lot of good stuff. There's Sea Lions near the "Lighthouse" and they'll usually come out to play - or at least take a look. Also saw eels, stingrays, puffers, and other tropical fish (Cortez Angels, wrasses etc.) on every dive. The coral is small and patchy, it's on a rock substrate so not like the BVI's. Water clarity can be hit/miss, one day we couldn't see the boat from the mooring (30'), the next day I'm sure the vis was 60' or better. This time of year the water should be mid-high 80's. It's almost guaranteed to see dolphins on the ride over.

San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico has more details on San Carlos. The picture on the homepage is the Marina where all the boats leave from. It's taken from one of the upstairs rooms at Marina Terra resort. We stayed there but rented condos from Fred at Oceanview - his office is just outside the lobby. You get use of all the MT facilities (pools, beach club etc.) for less than a motel room. I rented A-17, 2br, upstairs, well furnished, clean, cable TV, (no phone..), the hot tub hadn't worked in years, but made a good rinse tank, and an easy walk (with all my gear) from there to the boat dock.

Marina Terra is a few miles from "downtown" San Carlos. Guaymas is about 10-15 mins. away. Just about everyone is bilingual since Guaymas does some U.S. mfg.

El Mar and Scuba Specialties run trips down often. Usually car pool but El Mar rents a bus if they have enough people. I agree with Rob, I've seen 30-40 divers on Ocean Spirit. Not my idea of a good time. Otoh, there were five of us so Gary's gave us our own boat with a couple of snorkelers added on. Although their boats are mostly old tour boats so not optimal for diving. btw, on the two boats I've been on, the crew stays on the boat and catches lunch while you're diving.

Hi Amy, I think you'll love San Carlos; I've been diving there since the late 70s. It's grown alot but they'll never ruin it.
There are 5 dive shops in San Carlos; Gary's is the oldest. Ocean Sports is at the marina office building and is owned by Mike Huhn who owns Desert Divers in Tucson. They have a 46 foot dive boat and run trips daily.
I've been diving with Cortez Divers since the early 80s. It's owned by Tom Pinnell who is not only highly experienced and knowledgeable, he's a gas to dive with. He doesn't have a shop but works out of his boat at Marina San Carlos. I don't believe he'll take more than 4 divers on his boat, making his trips a very personal experience. I see his posts on this site and you could probably reach him through here.
Whoever you dive with, I'm sure you'll love San Carlos and keep coming back. Happy diving.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom