Sea Mount Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAndDreams

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Could someone that has been to the sea mount (actually dove it) get out their GPS and provide me with the coordinates please.

I have the following coords:

XYZ (since apparently its a secret even though I pulled'em off the web...)

No idea if they are correct. Also, I am told the dive site reaches at least 140'. Since it is so close to the PH channel I am assuming the correct procedure would be to call PH control and ask for permission to dive it...or is Hickam Harbor Master good enough?

Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks

There is some debate over if it is in the channel or not. Alex @ AAA diving used to do the site a lot. We were told to get out of there once, by the Navy.

He could give you the whole story. the nice thing about it is that it is very sharkey and the only place I hear of hammerhead sitings. The deep ocean current wells up right there on a mound, and Kirsten saw Galapagos AND hammerheads AND a Tiger all in one dive.

Alex told me they threatened to impound his boat. (we went back a couple times, hearing someone say it was not in the box, but I guess there is 100 ft in dispute) The deepest water he says is 600 ft which is what brings the deep current up, and the Hammerheads. The mount itself is 90 ft.

Oh, The Ledge sometimes reports Hammerheads, if you know where that is. (also near PH)

Well what I am looking for is a dive site, thats somewhat close to shore (that I can get to by zodiac) in the 150-200' range. I am currently open to any suggestions (including the sea mount)...

Well, can you trailer to Mauna Loa Bay? I have coordinates for a cool "secret" spot, but it might be further out. We are getting some wrap around from the east swell right now.

Or maybe you want a spot near Hickam? Call Alex...he knows that whole area.
He put in some mooring balls.

I go once in awhile with some CAM divers off Ewa. Lots of fish. Are you spearing? Oh never mind, for deco, yea? 150-200 ft.

catherine96821:
..We are getting some wrap around from the east swell right now..
pro'ly due to the southerly (kona) winds..

btw.. i know the the south/sw side of the sea-mount is deepest..
and remember to anchor on the top of the sea-mount (55fsw.. durr)

hmm well via yahoo messanger someone just told me it is in the restricted zone and not diveable....

Technically it is within the zone... however if you get your PH permit, you can ask PH Harbor Control for permission. Jimbo actually asked once and he got permission.

Why don't you just get Jim's numbers for Sea Mount?

Yo S&D....
You got those co-ords from me ya? Those are good. (did you not find the diner?)
maybe I should give you co-ords for Mahi....oh maybe NOT......) Call Pearl control when you head out and ask to clearance to dive 6/10 of mile west of PH bouy 2. They dove there yesterday, had a whale put on quite a tail slapping I understand.
Top of mound is 55 ft. drops to 140 or so(circle it to check it out...)
Ordered new impeller for the sea water pump, hope to be up sometime this week, may want someone to help me with a test run.....

I'll go if Marty is around to tow us back!

Did you figure out the problem yet? Besides the water pump...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom