Sea lice, how bad are they?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme:
Bottom line, should I change my plans because of sea lice, or should I just not worry about them?

Heck no!! Get some Safe Sea and don't forget to apply it at least ten minutes before going in the water. Like I stated before, the ONLY time I got hit was when I forgot to put it on. The whole two weeks the little buggers were in the water. I learned my lesson.

BTW, Hiya back at ya Doc!!

A non-diving relative of mine had a question, what if you get those bugs in your mouth when putting in the regulator?

Mantasscareme:
A non-diving relative of mine had a question, what if you get those bugs in your mouth when putting in the regulator?

Ill advised, at best... but I've seen worse! Much worse...

1985 in Roatan. Night dive. Alan from Ohio came out of the shore dive gagging and gasping. He dropped his Nikonos in the sand and flopped on a rickety wooden bench. Heart attack?

No- Sea Wasp bites. Had one laced across his femoral artery, one across the carotid...and you think that would be enough bad luck ?

Nope- he had switched to using a snorkel and managed to suck one into his mouth while transitioning.

If not for bad luck, this guy had no luck at all.

Doc Radawski (Doc's Dive) came out of the jungle darkness and told us that he would live. We began to divide up his gear, anyway.

Adolph's Meat Tenderizer externally sprinkled on (it works!) and the Epiject Pen brought him back from the dead.

We still tease him about it, now we have shirts that say, "If you die first, we're splitting up your gear.

[n.b.- Caribbean Sea Wasps (also often colloquialy referred to as 'box jellies') have a clear body that is roughly rectangular with 4 tentacles that dangle below from each corner. Most of them have bodies 2-3" long and 8" tentacles. I have seen some mini critters as well as one with the body the size of a Foster's can and 24" tentacles. Although mostly seen at or near the surface, I have seen them at depth. Scan the water column ahead and above/up of you. Easy to avoid. Wear the lightest of skin coverings- they can't even sting thru panty hose! To ascend thru a cluster attracted to the lights of your dive boat? Blow a lot of air from your octopus... that'll send 'em reeling away!]

Don't worry, but they're just not good eating!

I guess the sea turtles might like 'em, so unless you're a turtle . . .

Safe Sea is cheap stuff considering the alternatives IMO. Also, don't stop bubbling from your octopus and then ascend - keep bubbling until you have your hand on the ladder. Otherwise, the surface will go back to its prior state, maybe after you get on deck, maybe not . . . good advice anywhere.

They have sea wasps in the Caribbean? Are they as dangerous as the Australian variety?

Mantasscareme:
They have sea wasps in the Caribbean? Are they as dangerous as the Australian variety?
No. Those aussie ones are way worse.

I hit GCM in April. I hit all the popular dive sites. Didn't even realize it was a concern. Nobody at Sunset House got stung.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom